I Don't Really Understand Tastings Sometimes

Business By Kitagrl Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm by KHalstead

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 12

Okay so I had a lady from out of town, who will be getting married in my area, schedule a consult with me several months ago. We decided cake design and price and she paid a deposit. We did plan on having a tasting in the future when her fiance could come with her.

Now its time to have the tasting and she requested her flavors...now normally I charge for custom tastings but since her wedding cake is a larger order and she already paid the deposit I decided not to charge her. HOWEVER she picked all nicer cakes and stuff...and its going to be a pain in the butt to make these three cake flavors...why? So she knows...what? She already retained my services and she obviously already wants these three flavors incorporated in her wedding cake.

So why are we doing this? Free cake as a side perk of buying from me? I'm kind of annoyed but I know its my fault because I should have organized this better...the consult was like MONTHS ago and I'm still in the process of perfecting my tastings and stuff.

I just don't get people. Why? She trusted me enough to pay a deposit...and she already picked the flavors she wants for her cake....

*sigh*

icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 12

Don't you know? Brides want the full wedding planning "experience". If they don't have a cake tasting they're afraid they've missed something. : )

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 12

I've read that some bakers won't do tasting until the bride books and pays a deposit. I can't figure out how they get a bride to book BEFORE the bride has sampled the cakes? icon_confused.gif

I guess it depends on how you view a sampling. To me, this appt is to determine if you LIKE my style of baking/cooking. If so, then you book with me. To me, the appt is NOT to enable the bride to 'taste' every flavor or food I that make, so she can decide what she wants.

Ergo, if the bride has already decided "yes, I want you to make my cake" then there is no need for a sampling. You already know my baking is good enough for your wedding, so just let me know what flavors you want.

"Hello, Pizza Hut? I'm planning a birthday party for my kid, so I'll need to come in get a free slice of every single kind of pizza you make so I can decide what kind of pizza to order for this party." Uh...... I don't think that'll work either. icon_confused.gif

tootie0809 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #4 of 12

I had a huge rant about tastings today to my hubby. He doesn't quite understand why it irks me sometimes, but I know all of you will.

Here's the latest in my tasting aggravations. In the past couple weeks, I've had at least 3 couples come in for a tasting, taste their chosen 4 flavors, and then state when we talk about the exact servings for the cake that they "don't really plan on serving it." They're just doing the cake more as a showpiece and won't be serving much of the cake at all?!?!? Yes, I've had 3 different couples tell me this in the recent past. I have to bite my tongue not to flatly ask them "then why the he!! are you here tasting cake and taking up my time if you don't serve it so it really doesn't matter what it friggin' tastes like!" Of course, I just smile sweetly and nod my head.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've read that some bakers won't do tasting until the bride books and pays a deposit. I can't figure out how they get a bride to book BEFORE the bride has sampled the cakes? icon_confused.gif

I guess it depends on how you view a sampling. To me, this appt is to determine if you LIKE my style of baking/cooking. If so, then you book with me. To me, the appt is NOT to enable the bride to 'taste' every flavor or food I that make, so she can decide what she wants.

Ergo, if the bride has already decided "yes, I want you to make my cake" then there is no need for a sampling. You already know my baking is good enough for your wedding, so just let me know what flavors you want.

"Hello, Pizza Hut? I'm planning a birthday party for my kid, so I'll need to come in get a free slice of every single kind of pizza you make so I can decide what kind of pizza to order for this party." Uh...... I don't think that'll work either. icon_confused.gif

I know, that's what I don't understand...why she already paid the deposit, and already chose the flavors she wants...and now just wants to taste them.

Like what happens if she thinks its gross? haha. I dunno.

Its my fault for telling her 4 months ago that it would be okay. icon_smile.gif Actually I think it was longer ago than that....

Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 12

I don't let them pick the flavors for the tastings. They get my 6 most popular flavors and then my 12 standard fillings. If they want to try something else then they can purchase a 6 in round for $18. This way I bake a 12 in square of each of the 6 flavors and cut them into 2x2 in squares and keep in the freezer. I also make my fillings and scoop out the portion, freeze and keep in the freezer. When I have a consultation I just pull out one of every flavor about an hour before the consultation. Makes it much easier.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 12

I generally charge if they pick their flavors but she already paid a deposit so I know I have her business...which...the consult was so long ago, if she had had it today I'd have changed how I offered a tasting.

Its okay. People are just funny. icon_smile.gif

MCurry Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I don't let them pick the flavors for the tastings. They get my 6 most popular flavors and then my 12 standard fillings. If they want to try something else then they can purchase a 6 in round for $18. This way I bake a 12 in square of each of the 6 flavors and cut them into 2x2 in squares and keep in the freezer. I also make my fillings and scoop out the portion, freeze and keep in the freezer. When I have a consultation I just pull out one of every flavor about an hour before the consultation. Makes it much easier.

Great idea!!!!! Thanks.

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 12

I have actually had 3 brides who went to other cakers who required a deposit upfront BEFORE the free tasting (go figure) and after tasting the cakes........(3, count them 3 of my brides this year did this) they cancelled their orders and forfeited their deposit and then booked with me after tasting my cakes!

So all 3 of them obviously felt the cakes flavor was BAD enough to lose over $100 deposit!! craziness!

Viviane Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 12

Typically, when a bride and groom want to order a wedding cake, I offer a much smaller version of the cake they're ordering in the flavors they want exactly. I will ice it with the flavored icing they're requesting, but I won't be more intricate that that. My customers are coming to taste the cake to ensure they and their guests will enjoy the flavor. If they want to see the prettiness of my previous cakes, I show them albums or direct them to websites where they are posted.
One more perk I offer: if they send me a wedding day photo (professinoally done) that includes the cake, I will recreate a smaller version of the top tier for their 1 year wedding anniversary, free of charge. Couples REALLY like this option, and will return to me years later for baby showers or to support another bride and groom.

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane

Typically, when a bride and groom want to order a wedding cake, I offer a much smaller version of the cake they're ordering in the flavors they want exactly. I will ice it with the flavored icing they're requesting, but I won't be more intricate that that. My customers are coming to taste the cake to ensure they and their guests will enjoy the flavor. If they want to see the prettiness of my previous cakes, I show them albums or direct them to websites where they are posted.
One more perk I offer: if they send me a wedding day photo (professinoally done) that includes the cake, I will recreate a smaller version of the top tier for their 1 year wedding anniversary, free of charge. Couples REALLY like this option, and will return to me years later for baby showers or to support another bride and groom.

Oh that's a neat trade off....

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 12

love the idea of getting them to give you photo with them and the cake, I'll bet 9 times out of 10 they have a pretty nice testimonial to add as a note along with it! Great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%