Skydiving Cake ?

Decorating By christiemc Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 10:55am by christiemc

christiemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiemc Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a graduation cake incorporating a skydiver. I thought it would look neat to have a skydiver (about 3") "popping" out of the two tier cake with a plane as the topper. Would a wire (inserted into the cake in a straw) be able to hold the weight of the figurine, and more importantly would the cake be able to hold the weight? I've looked through some pictures of skydiving cakes on CC, but didn't quite see one like this. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

3 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 4

I think a good way is to find a nice pic of a skydiver and make it into an edible image.

Before peeling off the paper back, cut the diver out.

Roll out 50/50 gumpaste/fondant nice and smooth thick enough to get wire in.

Brush (thinly) piping gel on rolled gum/fon, peel off backing paper from edible image and place on gum/fon.

Smooth with fondant smoother (viva underneath). Let set a few minutes.

Cut out image with exacto knife. Stick in wire. Let dry.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 4

I like your wire idea -just make sure the guage is heavy enough to support it. The parachute should be easy -just a rectangle of maybe rice paper or something light weight. If it's too difficult to hang in mid-air, you could position the skydiver landed with his rig in a heap on the ground, with a huge smile on their face. I had a boyfriend that made me go out and watch them jump every weekend, so I've seen plenty of skydiving equipment! HTH icon_smile.gif

christiemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiemc Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:55am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your responses. I just saw them,for some reason I didn't get a notification about them. The size of the cake was changed to a 6/8 and I didn't feel comfortable suspending him on wire ( I made a figurine), so he was sitting on the cake board like he just landed. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%