Would This Dissolve My Fondant?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 1:36am by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 3

I know several people who swear by cream cheese icing under their fondant, but the three occasions I tried it (no wisecracks about it taking me three times to realize what was happening, now!), it dissolved my fondant and made for a disgusting goopey mess on my cake board that I had to scramble to cover (more foliage, anybody?).

I've used Whip'n'Ice as filling before with great results, but never directly under the fondant, and I'm worried the humidity content might be similar to that of the cream cheese icing. Anybody used it before in this capacity?

2 replies
fba322 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 3

I might be wrong, but I don't think it is the cream cheese frosting itself. I believe you are right when you said the humidity...when a cake is kept in the fridge because of these types of frosting then removed and sat out at room temp, it condensates because of the temp difference, and will caude the fondant to get gooey. I hope this makes sense...

emiyeric Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 3

No, I think the particular humidity content of cream cheese (depending on the recipe you use, I guess) was the issue people kept bringing up. I only do fondant cakes, and have a pretty standardized system for them, so they all go through the same basic steps (including my freezing methods). But with these three cakes, a very specific disgusting goo seeped out (green on my fairy cake! Ugh!). I'm just hoping the whip'n'ice will work without the same issues.

Thanks for any insight, guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%