What Happens When???

Baking By jovigirl Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 4:48pm by Denise1988

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 43

I've read many times about people adding a piece of chocolate bar to their cupcake just befr baking... I'd like to try this tecnique , but i was hoping to find out ahead of time what happens to the chocolate once the cupcakes are baked & cooled??? Does is just melt while baking & incorporate with the batter? I will not be eating them while warm so I'm wondering if adding a piece of milk chocolate to a chocolate cupcake makes any difference?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

42 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #2 of 43

I have heard that some people say that it creates a gooey center, but I have tried this with chocolate kisses and after they cool, they are just a hard blob of chocolate in the middle. Not a good thing if you are not expecting a hard ball of chocolate in the middle of your cuppy.

Now, I know that many people have talked about just thrusting in a large tip and filling a cuppy, but I prefer to take a small round circle cutter and make a small core in the middle. I can make a tiny one or a biger one (I usually do the big one) and then you can fill that with a rich gooey chocolate mousse or ganache. Much more edible, creamy and delish instead of a hard ball of chocolate.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 43

I use the bismark tip (I think that's what it is!) to fill my cuppies. It's a long one with an angled hole at the tip. Just jab 'er in and squeeze. Be careful not to fill too full or you'll explode the cuppie, but if you just cause some cracking on top, its not a big deal as long as you're putting a nice big buttercream swirl on top! YUMMY!

I've never tried a solid piece of chocolate in the middle. I would think it would harden upon cooling. But I bet a reese's pb cup inside would be yummy!

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 43

i have actually wondered this myself, and experimented with Kisses, PB cups, pieces of cookies, and even Ferrero Rocher and Lindt truffles. My favorite wasLindt truffles! they stayed melted after the cupcake cooled, and was absolutely delicious! be careful with your cupcake recipe, though, because it adds oils, o if you have a very moist recipe, cut down on the oil or it will be greasy when you bite into it.

jovigirl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakefrost

i have actually wondered this myself, and experimented with Kisses, PB cups, pieces of cookies, and even Ferrero Rocher and Lindt truffles. My favorite wasLindt truffles! they stayed melted after the cupcake cooled, and was absolutely delicious! be careful with your cupcake recipe, though, because it adds oils, o if you have a very moist recipe, cut down on the oil or it will be greasy when you bite into it.

Did the Ferrero solidify once cooled? Sounds like a dilish combination!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 43

Here's the thing with chocolate and chocolate candies........the chocolate candies like hershey's kisses, etc. are all tempered chocolate. Meaning it has been raised to a certain temperature and then cooled and raised and cooled (however the process goes) so that it WILL resolidify once it cools again.

If you use good quality untempered chocolate....once it melts it will not resolidify again. That's what you want to plunk into your cake batter!

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 43

I like to make ganache using the 2:1 ratio, like for making truffles, and I make a round truffle, and stick that into my cupcake or mini-cakes.....yummy and melty!!!!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 43

i have done milkyways inside my cupcakes and after cooled...( were talking the next day) they had a nice gooey caramel centers and no hard blobs of chocolate...and my guests loved them..

jovigirl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

If you use good quality untempered chocolate....once it melts it will not resolidify again. That's what you want to plunk into your cake batter!

What's a good brand of Chocolate to use then?
Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 43

Yah, I can agree with the yukiness of using kisses in the middle. They're great for about an hour. icon_rolleyes.gif Later they're hard again, and a little chalky from being baked. Yuk. But yah, ganache is another story. (And, Lindt truffles are either a gift directly from God, or an invention of Satan's. I've yet to figure that out.) icon_lol.gif

jovigirl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 43

So do you use a full lindt truffle for a reg size cupcake ir just half?
sounds devine thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to try it icon_biggrin.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

(And, Lindt truffles are either a gift directly from God, or an invention of Satan's. I've yet to figure that out.) icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Well, I'm into decadence, so I've used the whole thing. icon_redface.gif I recently found the bags of Lindt truffles on sale at WalMart, the bags that are normally almost $4... $1!! I bought every bag they had! icon_redface.gif Checking out was fun that day. Of course they know me, so they weren't shocked!

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 43

OOOOOHHHHHHH!!! I LOVE Lindt truffles!! I will def be trying them in my cuppies for the 4th coming up! Thanks!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 43
Quote:

Well, I'm into decadence

I think more people should be into decadence! I certainly am.

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #16 of 43

icon_biggrin.gif Amen sista!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Here's the thing with chocolate and chocolate candies........the chocolate candies like hershey's kisses, etc. are all tempered chocolate. Meaning it has been raised to a certain temperature and then cooled and raised and cooled (however the process goes) so that it WILL resolidify once it cools again.

Sorry to get all technical, but tempered chocolate only remains tempered until it's heated. If you take a tempered piece of REAL chocolate and heat it (either through baking or other means) it will lose temper. Will it resolidify somewhat? Yes, but it will never completely reset to temper and it will be softer then it was before. Hershey's kisses--while they are real chocolate--also have other additives to help them hold their shape even when they get warm/hot and re-cool, although even then they won't complete reset perfectly.

Good, high quality, pure chocolate is always sold tempered and must be tempered anytime it is re-melted and used That is the reason it will stay soft if you bake it in the middle of something, because it will fall out of temper through the baking process and it doesn't have the added stable fats that many commercial chocolates (like hershey does) to help it stay in a tempered-like state.

As far as the original question goes, you'll have better luck with a filled candy (like a mini peanut butter cup) so it's not a solid lump of chocolate and it will remain somewhat soft after baking.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:

Yah, I can agree with the yukiness of using kisses in the middle. They're great for about an hour. icon_rolleyes.gif Later they're hard again, and a little chalky from being baked. Yuk. But yah, ganache is another story. (And, Lindt truffles are either a gift directly from God, or an invention of Satan's. I've yet to figure that out.) icon_lol.gif

My heat is palpitating just thinking of biting into a cupcake and finding this surprise. I'm putting Lundt truffles into my next batch of cupcakes. Now do I just lay it on top and let it fall in as it cooks, or do I put some batter down, lay the truffle and then more batter?
Thanks.

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 43

The way I do it is to freeze the truffles because they'll stand up a little better to the heat. I use a scoop to measure my cupcakes, so I just plop a scoop of batter in there, then drop the truffle on top and push it down into the batter. You can plop a little more batter on top if it's not covered. The large truffle are really good for jumbo cuppies too. Or, you can make your own rather thick ganache, let set, then roll smaller truffles, freeze, and do the same.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #20 of 43

Melvira you always have the greatest ideas and are always so freely giving of your information Thank you for that.

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Melvira you always have the greatest ideas and are always so freely giving of your information Thank you for that.

Bless your heart, sweetie! Thank you for that. I just like knowing that there are still a few of you out there that appreciate and enjoy me! icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #22 of 43

Didn't Ruth Wakefield invent the chocolate chip cookie by grating or chopping chocolate into cookies?

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #23 of 43

That's the story I read. thumbs_up.gif And that they named them after her tollhouse. I think that's a really cool story! Here's a link to one version of it. I don't endorse this site or anything like that, this is just one of the many that comes up when you google it. http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/AmericanHeritageRecipes/ChocolateChipCookie/

ETA: Sorry, Toll House, not Tollhouse. icon_lol.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #24 of 43

Has anyone tried putting a marshmallow in with it to keep it gooey?

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #25 of 43

Now there's an idea. I have not tried that. Do you mean to melt the chocolate and marshmallow together first? (I just want to be sure I get the idea and don't go running amok in my mind. I do that enough!) icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #26 of 43

I have a recipe where the "surprise" in the middle was the gooey marshmallow so if the chocolate melted with the mm.....?? icon_rolleyes.gif Looks like another experiment!

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #27 of 43

If I made some ganache using semi-sweet chocolate morsels and used that to fill my cupcakes. Am I going to be expecting the same results as if I put the Hershey's kisses? A piece of hard rock chocolate? Oh, and I froze my cuppies after filling too. Was this a mistake? Thanks!!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #28 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Well, I'm into decadence, so I've used the whole thing. icon_redface.gif I recently found the bags of Lindt truffles on sale at WalMart, the bags that are normally almost $4... $1!! I bought every bag they had! icon_redface.gif Checking out was fun that day. Of course they know me, so they weren't shocked!

Lindt truffles are dangerous... icon_cry.gif
Can you melt Lindt and add it into the batter? I want to try other chocolates for my recipes...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #29 of 43

Peanut butter Lindt truffles are soooooooooo sinfully good....

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #30 of 43

ya'll are in trouble....now I am sitting here craving truffles and marshmallows and I can't concentrate on anything , lol !
I foresee many baking experiments going on because of this topic !
Did you see Bakerella's recent post about putting brownies inside of chocolate chip cookies...yum

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%