I am working on my first shoe (yippee!) I made a prototype using a boonenati's template and had issues with the wanting to crack even though I used the same support system she provides us in the tutorial. Since then, I have also modified Geechigirl's template and am having the same issues with the sole wanting to crack as it sets to dry. Geechigirl used a plastic covered "real" shoe to dry her's --if I'm not mistaken. I find the crack comes in the one open area between the heel and where the foot of the shoe starts to bottom out. At first, I thought I was rolling my gumpaste too thin, but I see other shoes on CC that seem as thin as mine... does anyone have a suggestion as to how to prevent the cracking? I really would love to have the shoe I'm currently working on finish to completion as it is coming together so well, but I am concerned about the hairline crack already in place. Should I have used a combo of fondant and gumpaste maybe for pliability (I realize that would be a longer drying time, but am okay with that if it fixes the problem.)
Sorry for rambling... any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Hi there I also had a problem at first, you need to roll out your gumpaste a little bit thicker because it has to support the whole shoe. I mould mine on a brand new mule shoe I found in a charity shop. I took the gold mesh off the front so I now have a proper support. The only thing you must NOT do is to pick it up too soon, this will cause it to crack. You must be patient and let it dry, my shoe dried in the airing cupboard for 10 days. I would not put anything with the gumpaste, because I find that this dries really hard if left to dry properly. Hope this helps.
PS my shoe is on my photo page for scorpio711
I had the same problem with my first shoe because I worked too slow and handled it too much. But by my 3rd shoe, I worked faster and handled it less. I agree that you need to roll the sole a bit thicker. I only dried my gumpaste shoe for 3 -4 days. She says that is all that is required. I found her support worked just great!If you continue to have the cracking issue, then I would just use fondant with quite a bit of tylose mixed in. You may just have to let it dry a day or two longer.