Should I Buy The Magic Line Square Pan Set?

Decorating By AileenGP Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm by Karen421

AileenGP Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 14

I was asked to make a cake for my DH's best friend's wedding and the style they chose was square, so instead of buying some new square pans, my aunt let me borrow the Wilton square pan set she already had (16,12,icon_cool.gif.

Now, I've been making a bunch of cakes with the pans but the slanted sides and rounded edges are p*ssing me off to no end because I keep having to trim the sides to make sharp clean edges

The wedding cake I'm doing also has tier sizes in between the sizes of the cake pans (16-14-12-10-8-6) and I was originally planning to bake a larger size and just trim them down, but the more and more I think about it, I feel like I should buy the 14", 10", and 6" pans because I hate to waste cake like that (and I have enough cake truffles in the freezer to last me till next year). But totaling it up, if I add just a little more money, I can get the entire set.

I have a ton of decorating equipment, but honestly, don't have many pans as I just recently moved 200miles away from my aunt a little while ago (she taught me everything I know about cakes and we always made all the cakes together at her house with the pans she already had so I never had a need until now to buy my own)

What do you guys think?

1. Should I just use my aunt's pans and suck up all the trimming I have to do, including cutting larger cakes down to a smaller size?

2. Should I buy the sizes I don't have in ML (14, 10, 6) and use the Wilton pans for the other sizes (16, 12, 8")?

3. Should I invest in the entire Magic Line square pan set including the 16" as my first pan set?

Thanks everyone for any advice!

13 replies
langranny Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 14

I love my Magic Line square pans. I have 12-10-8-6-4.5". They make wonderful flat topped perfectly square cakes. They are not cheap, but worth every penny.

leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 14

You will NEVER regret buying (or using) the best tools!

lovelytee Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 14

Get them, you will love the results these pans produce. Not cheap, but yoiu do get your money's worth icon_smile.gif

iamcakin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 14
Originally Posted by leah_s

You will NEVER regret buying (or using) the best tools!

Get the set, you won't be sorry!

SunshineSally Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 14

I love my Magic Line Pans!!! Consider it an investment and get the set. icon_smile.gif

AileenGP Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 14

You guys have convinced me! (not that I needed too much convincing) I'll treat myself and get the set then =)... LOL... I'll just tell DH that since this is a gift for HIS best friend, I should at least get paid with a new pan set thumbs_up.gif

Plus my dad taught me to buy the right tools the first time if you can afford it rather than just settling for what'll do, because it'll save you from a lot of frustration and wasted time in the long run.

I still can't believe I got away with making cakes for as long as I have without having my own pan set. how embarrasing icon_redface.gif lol

Thanks everyone!! I'm sooo excited!

Tug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 14

I have Magic Line pans and wilton pans. The Magic Line pans are so much more superior ! I will only buy Magic Line.

Occther Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 14

I have both Magic Line & Fat Daddio's square pans - definitely like the Magic Line square better - nice crisp corners.

Karen421 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #10 of 14

I just completed my set of magic line square pans and there is just no comparison between them and wilton! I LOVE them!!!! thumbs_up.gif

DanaG21 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #11 of 14

Where's the best place to get them?

mrsc808 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #12 of 14

I have the 10, 8, 6, and 4" ML. I make cakes mostly for fun right now so this is a very expensive hobby but I wouldn't do anything but the best I can afford and buy locally since shipping kills me sometimes. icon_wink.gif

Occther Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:48am
post #13 of 14

My favorite place to buy pans & supplies is Global Sugar Arts. Great service and quick shipping.

Karen421 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #14 of 14

The last 3 I got I found on ebay. They were used, but when I got them, I don't think the women ever used them!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif They were still wrapped liked the ones I got from Chef Tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%