How Do I Make A Monkey (3D)

Decorating By Monirr04 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm by Monirr04

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hi. I have a request for a baby shower cake and the lady would like a 3D monkey...Either a small one on a cake or a large one stand alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or ideas how to do this? I have a small 3d cuddly bear pan and and old (retired) Care Bare's 3d pan. Can i do something with those?
Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Moni

8 replies
urbansweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbansweets Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 9

I also have a monkey cake topper order for an upcoming cake. While I haven't started on the project yet, so far my thoughts have been to use either rice krispy treats or styro to create the overall shape of the monkeys and then cover that with gumpaste. That way the monkeys will be lighter on the top of the cake.

I'll post more as I begin work on this project.

Good luck!!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

I made a last minute monkey cake last year. I used the Wilton 3-D bear pan. I uploaded it to my pictures as I am horribly inept at attaching them here.

I'm not great at decorating, but I hope it will at least give you an idea to work from.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

I made a last minute monkey cake last year. I used the Wilton 3-D bear pan. I uploaded it to my pictures as I am horribly inept at attaching them here.

I'm not great at decorating, but I hope it will at least give you an idea to work from.

I just checked out your picture....so cute! Great job!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 9

I would use the 3-d bear pans to make a monkey. They aren't too much different. Cut off the ears and move them down, widen the nose/muzzle and attach an extra long tail. If you choose to put figure on the cake there are a couple excellent books that have great animal figures in them, http://www.amazon.com/dp/1861086431/?tag=cakecentral-20 And http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844484785/?tag=cakecentral-20 Good luck!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 9

Here's an awesome tutorial of a 3-D monkey: http://cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

Monirr04 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for the suggestions!

NANIKINS - Saw your picture and it is SO cute! Any suggestions on how to carve it (or did you have to)?! How did you get the ears so low?

Thanks again!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your kind words. Thanks to mom2twogirlz as well.

I really didn't have to carve it much. I did cut the little bear ears off of it. The ears are actually just buttercream built up.

I had made chocolate buttercream (which I'd only done once before) and had used cocoa powder, so it was thicker than I normally like. It turned out to work to my advantage with the ears, I guess. I just built up chocolate icing for the ears and smoothed it so that it was firmly "attached to the cake" Then carefully added the pink and smoothed, and piped one more line of chocolate for the outer ear. They aren't that big, so it wasn't too bad.

Good luck with your monkey! I can't wait to see your amazing creation!

Monirr04 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for the advice. I made the cake, 2 tiers stacked with 3D Monkey made out of the mini bear mold (Wilton). I'll try to post the pic, if not it is on my profile.
Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%