Gumpaste Or Fondant With Ttylose

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm by aine2

SugarSugarDesserts Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 5

What is the difference between gumpaste or fondant with tylose powder?

Is it cheaper to buy tylose to add to fondant or to buy premade gumpaste?

Does anyone have a favorite brand of gumpaste?

4 replies
idgalpal Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 5

I think I paid $9 for a bottle of tylose powder, it's about the same size as the spice jars you get in the grocery store. I make my own gumpaste, or buy is at one of the craft stores if I have a coupon. I use fondant with tylose powder if I want to have a little more working time. It seems to me that gum paste sets up much quicker than fondant with tylose.

catlharper Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 5

gumpaste dries much faster than fondant with tylose but the cans of gumpaste cost more in the long run if you make your own fondant. If I have a sugar flower order coming up then I will have gumpaste in the house but otherwise I just add tylose to fondant and wait the extra drying time out..however, if I need the item right away or I'm really worried about shifting then I'll use straight gumpaste. You can also have a happy medium by using half fondant and half gumpaste.

luvbuttercream Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 5

I was just thinking about asking a question about this. I was wondering if I add tylose to fondant will you get the similar effects of gumpaste ie. being able to roll it out thinner and dry harder but will it taste better than straight gumpaste? So pretty much my question is whether or not the tylose will change the flavor of the fondant too much?

aine2 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 5

Tylose won't change the flavour. Gumpaste is best for modelling flowers because it can be rolled out so thinly and dries very quickly. It is used for figure modelling by many but personally I wouldn't choose it as it doesn't give you long enough to "play" and dries too quickly and cracks easily. You can mix half gumpaste and fondant together for modelling paste too but I'd still choos to add the Tylose. It depends what works best for you in the end. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%