Which Is Better For Covering Cakes.....

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 6:53pm by catlharper

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 4

.....rolled fondant, MMF, regular fondant?

I just recently covered a 2 tiered cake (6' & 8' in. rounds) with MMF, and it took several tries to get it right. Also, it's sooo difficult to prevent, or get rid of, those creases at the bottom of the cake after covering. UGH!

The only fondant I've ever worked with is MMF. Is there something better? What are your methods, tried & true fondant recipes for cake covering? Thanks for sharing!

Crystal

3 replies
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 4

Michelle Foster's fondant (recipe on CC) is the absolute greatest!! When I first started, I used MMF, but believe me, once you try Michelle's, you won't go back!!

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

Michele Fosters updated fondant recipe is The Best.It is great to work with and tastes so good.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

I love MMF but there are tricks to it. It does take practise to make sure you have it the right consistancy and thickness. BUT there is a tip for getting the folds out of the bottom edges. Elevate your cake about 2 inches (I use a one size smaller cake pan) and let your fondant drop past your cake on the cake board. Then just smooth the cake down past the cakeboard and trim! It's made this process SOOOO much easier for me!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%