Home Cake Businesses...what's Your Schedule?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm by kimmies_cakes

mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 17

Another post has got me intrigued as to how everyone has their days planned out for their business! If you have a small cake business from your home, please list your schedule! We may be able to help each other out!

16 replies
makupwmn Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 17

I am a full time RN in ICU and have 3 children...7yrs, 5yrs, 2yrs.
I am off every wed, thurs. So I bake the weekend cakes on tues, make all of the accent pieces, fondant, icings, and fillings on wed. Begin to decorate past that point on into Thurs. night. Picks ups on Fri.

Seems to work, however, I do feel at times overwhelmed

cai0311 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 17

I am married and work full time. I work 9.5 hr days so I get every other Friday off. On those weeks, I can take on extra orders. In either case my schedule looks like this:

Sunday: Consultations; begin making any items that need time to dry

Monday: Finish making any items that need time to dry

Tuesday/Wednesday: Bake cakes, make fillings

Wednesday/Thrusday (depends which day baking happened on): Torte, fill and crumb coat all cakes

Thrusday/Friday: Ice, stack and decorate cakes; deliver any orders for that evening

Saturday: Deliver all other orders; prepare a detailed plan of what needs done for the following weeks cakes; grocery shop for ingredients

catlharper Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 17

Technically I'm out of my home but I rent a kitchen to work in so I get as much done in one day as possible. I work M-W so Thursday I bake/freeze and Friday I decorate, Saturday is for deliveries as is Sunday. Someday I'd like to be doing this full time out of a storefront but since I'm not rich and don't know anyone dying to back my business I'll just have to stay doing what I do for now. SIGH.

Crabbabs Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 17

I am interested in people's schedules too!
I only make cakes for family and friends and work full time, but recently I have taken on more "orders". This week I have a grad cake for my brother, and a wedding/house warming party cake for some friends. They are both on Sat and I keep debating on when to bake.

Dolledupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 17

I rent a kitchen, I work a FT job m-f 8-430. I have class every Tues & Wed. 730pm-10pm. I start baking Wed. night after class.

sweetlayers Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 17

save

cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 17

I also work full-time (40 hrs) and have 4 kids at home youngest is 4. I decorate/work after 8pm.
I bake on saturday or sunday and freeze.
Make accents that need to dry Mondays.
Frost/decorate Thursdays and Fridays for Friday/Saturday pick-up or saturday for sunday pick-up.

Tellis12 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 17

I make my icings/fillings on Wednesdays, bake all day Thursday and decorate on Friday.

EllieA Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 17

I thought you meant something else when you asked for schedules: icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

From five days before I have to deliver a cake to the moment of delivery: I:
. Decide Type flavor, filling, icing, color, decorations, motif, shape, architecture of cake, how many people will be fed, and if I have the pans for it.
. Make a list of all the ingredients that I must have, check to see what I have and what I'm missing, including dies!
. Go to supply store and purchase whatever I don't have, including a board, cakeboards and dowels!
. Then I make a drawing of the decorations and what colors they will be!
. Then I put all the recipes in front of me (on plastic sheet protector and tack it to my kitchen wall, out of the way), and the color guide!
. I prepare gum paste and fondant (instructions say to keep them standing for 24 hours before using), and mix the colors to get the color I need (for instance: did you know that you get flesh color when you mix 8 drops of yellow, 6 drops of red and 2 of green?) icon_biggrin.gif Yupe. Green!
. I color the fondant and gum paste and put them in bags!
. Prepare all the dry ingredients and put them in separate plastic bags (duh, of course in separate bags - can you imagine mixing chocolate with vanilla?) icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif
. Make first cut of boards (not precise as they must be at the end, but small enough to be able to manipulate when the cakes are on top)!
. Make lots and lots of buttercream.
. Prepare concoction for pans: 1/3 Crisco, 1/3 AP flour, 1/3 vegetable oil. Mix well. Get brush handy!
. Cover the first board with fondant.
. Get templates, cookie cutters, etc. and start preparing decorations, including cutting wire to right size!
. Prepare fillings.
. Prepare wet ingredients - mix with dry!
. Prepare pans - cover with concoction above!
. Bake first cake!
. Cool, cover cake with crumb coat.
. Do the same for all other cakes!
. Glue foam boards together, if needed, start cutting!
. Put cake on fridge for 30 minutes. Carve it. Buttercream it again. Put in fridge again. Take it out. Paper towel it and cover again with buttercream!
. Repeat. I can never get it perfect in one one paper towel treatment!
. Do final cutting of cakeboard. Don't forget the hole in the middle for the center dowel - mark the board so you know where the hole is at the end!
. Start preparing foam boards, if I am going to use them!
. Print bakery stickets, put on cake boxes!
. Put wax/decorative paper in boxes.
. Get business cards and put them where I won't forget to bring them with me!
. Wash all pans (did I forget to mention: clean as you finish using whatever?) Very important! icon_lol.gif
. Finish decorations. Don't forget to put them on plastic, put some Crisco on top so they don't dry and then put another coat of plastic film on top. Tight. Operating word is TIGHT! No air must touch them!
. Assemble: Board, foam, cake, filling, cake, buttercream, dowels, cakeboard, cake, filling/buttercream, cake, buttercream and so on until I get to fondant. Put decorations. Dust. Cover.
. Get it on van.
. Deliver.
. I don't drink but if I did, this is the point where I would get drunk! But since I don't .... I go home and start the preparations for the next one! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Above everything, I don't forget that cakes are always for happy occassions and I should enjoy them in the same spirit they are going to be received! I know it sounds corny, but it helps! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 17

Mond.-Clean house!
Tues. - shop for all ingredients for that weeks cakes
Wed.- Bake cakes, cool, wrap, freeze/Clean up
Thurs.- Bake cakes, cool, wrap (if I have less than 15 cakes to bake for the week I bake them all on Wed.)/ Clean up

Fri.- Pull cakes out of freezer, torte, fill, crumb coat, let sit./ decorate after 8 pm when 3 kids go to bed
Sat.- deliver
Sun.-Church, sometimes deliveries after, grocery shopping, evening church, BED

CookieMeister Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 17

I also work a full time job, Monday-Friday. I don't do very many cakes (thus the name CookieMeister). I do mostly cookies, with most orders being shipped mid-week (I do much more internet based business than local).

On Saturdays I typically will make all my fondant and dough for the week.

Sunday is baking day. I cut/bake/fondant all the cookies.

On Monday and Tuesday evenings, I finish the cookies with any royal icing/fondant decorations, bag and package for shipping.

On rare weeks I do cakes. I usually bake on Wednesday, frost and fondant on Thursday and decorate on Friday nights. But that's rather rare for me at this point.

ksmith1012 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 17

I am "Off" on Sunday and Monday.
Tuesday - I get my supplies/ingredients
Wednesday- make my ganache, other fillings/icing and start working on any fondant accents such as figures, bows, etc.
Thursday- bake, crumbcoat cakes
friday- cover, stack and decorate

That's my typical schedule. Although, last week I had a cake that was due friday early afternoon, so I finished on Thursday night. That was NICE! I loved being done with my work for the weekend. I was able to go out with the hubby for our anniversary on Friday night without having to worry about cake! thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em comin'! icon_biggrin.gif Love seeing the different schedules & routines and how everyone does this all, in between kids, hubbies, jobs, etc!

Shannon1129 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 17

I work 30 hours as a special needs cord for a large church. So, my weekends are nuts. But I am off on Mondays and half day on Tuesday. I clean house and usually spend lots of time with my two boys. Tuesday I buy all supplies and food items. Wed. I bake and crumb coat. I also dye my fondant so it can rest overnight. Thursday I cover cakes in fondant, stack, and get half of the orders fully decorated. Friday I finish all orders. Saturday mornings are pick ups, sat afternoon deliveres, and Sat night I go in to work. Sunday I work about 7 hours in the am and then I come home and back 4 dozen cupcakes for a local bank to serve on Monday.

Then, it starts all over again. icon_smile.gif

Rog2e Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #16 of 17

My wife is a cake decorator who works at Carlo's Bakery. She has to be at work at 5:00AM, gets out at 1PM, picks up kids from school at 2:50PM, works on her cakes on the side from 3PM - 9PM (while somewhere in there helping kids with homework and cooking dinner) Goes to bed and does it all over.

She's off on Sundays and Mondays which she will work on her side orders as well.

Pretty crazy.

kimmies_cakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 17

this has really helped me alot! i only normally bake for friends and family but recently i have taken on more orders i have two kids and a full time job so i always make each cake dirty ice and decorate in one night! then deliver the next day as im not used to making alot of cakes seeing how organised you all are has given me a great structure to work with and helped me out alot! thanks for posting guys! happy baking! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%