Puzzled By Which Icing To Use!

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 5:53am by morgnscakes

JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Cupcakers! I am thinking about making cupcakes for my sister in law's baby shower. I just recently visited a cupcake shop in the area and the icing consistency was AMAZING, so creamy! :] I am putting a picture of one of them. I want to figure out a recipe that is similar. (BTW- If you are interested it was Cupcake in Charleston, SC) I use Indydebi's for my cakes but it just isn't like the icing on these yum-yums! icon_razz.gif (I love it on cake btw, I just fell in love with their icing for cupcakes!) It has a very light crust to it, very thick creamy texture but not heavy, is definitely an AMBC and I don't think it is shortening based but I've never used high ratio so maybe I'm wrong? Anyway any clues would be amazing, thank you for reading my rambles!
LL

7 replies
bakescupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 8

It's a bit hard to tell without tasting the icing.....do you think it's bc made with butter, that usually has a slight crust to it. And for a creamier taste you could add a couple of tbs of whipping cream to bc recipe instead of milk. I've also added creamcheese to bc as well to cut down sweetness (and adds to creaminess). Or use IMBC, I know it doesn't crust, but yum I can never have enough of the stuff!!!....hth.

JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 8

I know that it didn't have cream cheese, I can always taste it in the icing... It did crust just not as much as I'm used to with Indydebi's. I still am not sure that it was an all butter recipe either. Any other ideas? ty bakescupcakes!

metria Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 8

have you used high ratio shortening before? maybe that's it?

JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 8

No metria, I haven't I think I may have to order some and try it, because this wasn't a buttery tasting icing, I'm kind of thinking it was a hi ratio recipe, maybe like Sharon's. I may try hers! Thanks!

moonbabel Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 8

i recently tried high ratio shortening and made buttercream icing for cupcakes and the difference was amazing. very smooth and creamy, no waxy feeling. it also had a very light crusting, so i would recommend trying it. good luck!

JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 8

So which hi ratio should I use and how much do I need to order to have enough to ice about 125 cupcakes? Do you think I need to order the flavoring she uses? Thank you so much!

morgnscakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #8 of 8

If you go to the Cupcake website, they mention that they do not use any oils or lards (besides canola oil), so I would bet that they make their icing with real butter and either cream or whole milk for the creaminess.

If you want to try a high-ratio shortening, I would suggest Sweetex. I have tried a few different kinds, but I prefer Sweetex (when I do use it) because it does not have an aftertaste or a off smell that I have encountered with other brands. It is a little more expensive than some other brands, but it is worth it.

I use Italian meringue buttercream a lot, but for my cupcakes, we use not only just IMB, but mix AMBC and IMB together. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%