Half And Half Cake Flavor

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 1:30am by cheatize

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 7

I have never done a half and half cake. I know the easiest way would be to make each half sep and them ice them side by side. BUT . . . I was wondering if I could bake both sides in the same pan at the same time? I know the middle might be a little mixed but will the sides run into each other a lot while baking? Whats the best way to do this?

6 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

I know that some recipies work well being baked together so I guess as long as they are similar it would be fine. This past weekend I had an order for a half wasc and half carrot and that would not have worked at all since the wasc is a modified box and the carrot is scratch and they bake up at different temps and times. HTH

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 7

Great thanks!! The flavors are just a WASC and Chocolate WASC so basically the same cakes w/ different base flavor. icon_biggrin.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 7

Take a length of foil and fold it up to make a dam. Divide your cake pan in half with said foil dam. Pour one flavor in one side and the other flavor in the empty side. Gently pull the foil dam out, tap the pan on the counter to even everything up, and bake. icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 7

I do this alot. Mix one mix and pour in a tilted cake pan. I usually put it on something about an inch tall so to keep the cake mix at one end. Then when you start to pour the other mix slowly in lower the pan. They mix a little but not much. I hope I explained this, was worried the first time I tried it but it really works and don't have to worry about the foil.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

I do this alot. Mix one mix and pour in a tilted cake pan. I usually put it on something about an inch tall so to keep the cake mix at one end. Then when you start to pour the other mix slowly in lower the pan. They mix a little but not much. I hope I explained this, was worried the first time I tried it but it really works and don't have to worry about the foil.

same here. I frequent question I get is "won't it all run together?" It's not Kool-Aid .... it's batter. the two flavors will meet in the middle and stop.

And I find baking in one pan is WAY easier than baking two separate cakes and icing-gluing them together.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #7 of 7

I've done it with altered box mixes without a problem. However, the last time I did this (a couple of weeks ago), I used 2 different scratch recipes. It split along the separation. I made 3 cakes, all 3 split to varying degrees. This may be due to the difference in the recipes, but I thought I'd toss it in here for other's who will use 2 different recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%