Rental A Local Church For Baking For A Business

Business By Bigbearswife Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 9

I got some advice from another baker online about Renting a Local Church's kitchen for Baking for a business since I dont want to bake out of my home. (I mean i bake out of my home for personal and friends, but I dont want to for big orders becasue I dont have the space)\\

Has anyone "rented" a local churchs kitchen through donations to bake your goods and sell them.

Would you still need an inspection? or just a business licence?

8 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 9

I believe there was a post about this recently, and they were basically saying that renting a church for your business could endanger their 501(c)(3) status. I am not positive though, anyone feel free to correct me!

That said, if it was ok to use a church, I am sure you would still need an inspection.

Maybe you could try local caterers? They often are interested in renting space out to cake businesses, etc.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 9

cake master is correct.
Here's the post, a landmark case is being heard by the courts now

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6844060-.html#6844060

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 9

This sucks! I understand to a point but even when it's to/for non profit?! Oh well!

Rog2e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rog2e Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 9

Wow this is a great idea. My wife and I are weighing our options on what her next step should be and for us this might be a consideration, especially if you have a good relationship with your church family.

I was thinking what if you not necessarily rent the space but if their is enough trust between everyone, just give more in the offering plate?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog2e

Wow this is a great idea. My wife and I are weighing our options on what her next step should be and for us this might be a consideration, especially if you have a good relationship with your church family.

I was thinking what if you not necessarily rent the space but if their is enough trust between everyone, just give more in the offering plate?

Hmmm, I personally wouldn't do that, it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 9

I wanted to rent from different churches in my area but it's not allowed in my state. icon_sad.gif nor is it allowed to rent schools and other non-profits icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 9

The other issue with church kitchens, even if they give you the space rent-free, is that church kitchens are often not up to the standards needed for the licensing you'll need. In most states, kitchens that do not sell food have to meet different requirements than those that will sell what they make. Number of sinks, etc.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

The other issue with church kitchens, even if they give you the space rent-free, is that church kitchens are often not up to the standards needed for the licensing you'll need. In most states, kitchens that do not sell food have to meet different requirements than those that will sell what they make. Number of sinks, etc.

Very true. It can't just be any kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%