Structural Design Help Needed....margarita

Decorating By mayo2222 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm by mayo2222

mayo2222 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 8

I hope everyone knows what a margarita glass looks like icon_lol.gif ....I am making a margarita glass cake that is 3x normal size which will be standing straight up. Hopefully my attachment works to show my design, but if not there will be a large wooden dowel screwed into the bottem cake board and then a 1/2 inch thick wooden circle screwed into the dowel on top which will support the cake.

The large bowl part of the glass will be the cake. Right under the large bowl part this is smaller section. For this section I am using RKT. Right now I am hoping the RKT will stick to the dowel and underneath the cake board. My question is will my design work in supporting the RKT or should I be adding a screw or two for the RKT to hold on to.

Hopefully this all make sense, if not let me know.

7 replies
cheatize Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 8

I think melted chocolate would glue it to the underside quite nicely- as long as it's not too heavy.

Doug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I think melted chocolate would glue it to the underside quite nicely- as long as it's not too heavy.

and shape it UPSIDE DOWN.

much easier to work with.

then turn right side up and add cake

mayo2222 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

and shape it UPSIDE DOWN.

much easier to work with.

then turn right side up and add cake

Yes that is exactly what I was going to do! I am thinking I might had a small ring on the dowel as a small "shelf" just so it gives the RKT a place to set. Don't know if would help or not though

Iggy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 8

I remember an episode from Duff where they put RKT on a wood support structure. It slid off. They ended up putting modeling chocolate on first and then putting the RKT over that. Just a thought that may help.

mayo2222 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

I remember an episode from Duff where they put RKT on a wood support structure. It slid off. They ended up putting modeling chocolate on first and then putting the RKT over that. Just a thought that may help.

Great to know, thanks for that information!!

idgalpal Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 8

I made a margarita/pinata cake in January, link to the picture below. I used a wooden board for the base, a metal flange screwed to the base, a metal rod screwed into the flange, and a piece of PVC pipe over the metal rod. At this point, I used a half of a styrofoam ball for the piece you're thinking of making out of RKT. I glued the half styrofoam ball to the bottom of the cake board, then put the cake on top of that. I did have to use a screw at the top to stabilize the cake board. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough, if you want any more info, PM me and I'll send you my drawing. HTH
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1565284

mayo2222 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

I made a margarita/pinata cake in January, link to the picture below. I used a wooden board for the base, a metal flange screwed to the base, a metal rod screwed into the flange, and a piece of PVC pipe over the metal rod. At this point, I used a half of a styrofoam ball for the piece you're thinking of making out of RKT. I glued the half styrofoam ball to the bottom of the cake board, then put the cake on top of that. I did have to use a screw at the top to stabilize the cake board. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough, if you want any more info, PM me and I'll send you my drawing. HTH
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1565284

Wow, I'm surprised I didn't notice/find your photo when I searched for margarita. This is exactly what I am going for. I think I will try RKT and see how that goes and if I can't make a go of it try for the styro.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%