How Do I Make These Buckets?

Decorating By horskkj Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm by Kims_cakes

horskkj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 18

I love this idea but can't figure out how to do them. Are they done with a mold? Couldn't find anything I thought would be large enough.

I tried PMing the person who submitted it but didn't get a response.

Need to make these for Friday.
LL

17 replies
xinue Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 18

to me it looks like they were made with the wilton king size muffin pan. check it out:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2228950D-423B-522D-F79B1239505A8048&fid=DA81D030-423B-522D-FC8B95CE9529F520

KHalstead Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 18

I would think you could just pour the melted chocolate into a paper cup (think dixie cup, coffee cup, etc that has the right shape) and then shove a cupcake into it and let it harden up on the cupcake. I would put them in the freezer, then you could even just rip the cup and peel it off!

I would test one (obviously I've never done it.......just throwing some ideas at you!)

They're adorable!!!

7yyrt Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 18

jmlawren isn't on here any more. She's says it's a candy shell bucket.

If you don't need it edible, you could just use cupcake wrappers.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 18

Michaels has a cute little silicon flower pot cupcake holders you could do chocolate shells in. They aren't Wilton. I can't remember the brand, but at my store they are in a endcap near the registers.

horskkj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinue

to me it looks like they were made with the wilton king size muffin pan. check it out:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2228950D-423B-522D-F79B1239505A8048&fid=DA81D030-423B-522D-FC8B95CE9529F520

That's kinda what I was thinking they were. Pardon my stupidity at candy making but how do I do that? Is the melted candy "painted" inside the cups then allowed to harden?

I also understand the method of a papercup but afraid if I put the cupcake in the wet candy it might not harden to an even coating. Anyone with experience?

These are for kindergarteners so I would like it all to be edible, if possible.

jerseygirlNga Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 18

I'm not sure but just throwing out an idea...once you figure it out...can you post what you did!

Since its a candy shell, I would think you can coat the tin with the melted chocolate and turn upside down, (collect the excess chocolate that runs out) allow to dry. Repeat the process until the shell has the candy thickness you desire. Now removing the shell without breaking is another hurdle! I've worked little with chocolate, can you tell?

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 18

Here's a thought on the inside- what if you filled the shell with a mix of crumbled cake and frosting, like people are using to make cake pops? (See Bakerella's website) Just spoon it in and press gently, then decorate the top.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 18

The porprotion might not be exact, but could you make this effect by wrapping each cupcake with fondant? One clean seam in the back wouldn't detract from such a cute little treat.

horskkj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Here's a thought on the inside- what if you filled the shell with a mix of crumbled cake and frosting, like people are using to make cake pops? (See Bakerella's website) Just spoon it in and press gently, then decorate the top.

I like this idea for the cake. There really isn't icing shown on top so mixing together would work. I just wish I had time this week to experiment.

Do you think spraying the inside of whatever I use with non-stick spray would help them come out or would it affect the candy melts in some way?

cs_confections Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 18

You could use these instructions (on a smaller scale, of course!) for making your candy wrappers:

http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

cutthecake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 18

They could be Rice Krispies Treats made in jumbo muffin pans, then covered in fondant or chocolate or chocolae clay. They're very cute.

jmlawren Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 18

OOpsy, sorry those are mine!

Ok bear with me I'm not so good with instructions. I wing a lot of what I do. For these I used a jumbo muffin pan. i coated the inside of each cavity with candy coating, several layers, stuck it in the fridge and CAREFULLY popped each out. There will be breakage.... Once I'm finished with each "bucket" I made the cupcakes in the jumbo muffin tin ( I made sure to use wrappers to give me a bit of space so I could slide them in the buckets. )

I waited until cooled, put a cupcake inside each. Iced the top, dipped in crushed vanilla wafers and stuck candy shells that I made with the wilton mold. The handle is extruded fondant. I guess you could hand roll it, but I had an extruder and thought why not.

I hope this helps! Sorry about not responding. I"m a full time teacher and only have time for cake central during the summer!

jmlawren Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 18

Oh to coat the cavities I dumped in a pretty liberal amount of the melted candy coating and swirled it around to coat the sides then quickly popped it in either the fridge or freezer ( I tried the paintbrush thing and it was an epic fail).

7yyrt Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 18

Good to see you back!

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm
post #16 of 18

jumbo muffin pan? So they're huge!! Wow.......I"d like to eat one of those puppies!! lol

jmlawren Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 18

I don't like to do anything halfway... icon_biggrin.gif

Kims_cakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 18

Jmlawren, those are just too cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%