1St Wedding Cake Questions...

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm by nonilm

mandirombold Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 5

I have my 1st wedding cake this Friday it is a 3 tier buttercream cake with simple decorations. Should I delivery it together or stack it when I get there and finish the seams there. Its buttercream so I am nervous I usually do fondant which is easier to me.

4 replies
Tellis12 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 5

As long as you support it well you should be able to transport it fine. I always transport my 3-tiered cakes. I haven't had any real problems before but you'll want to make sure it's sturdy. Make sure your supports are all the same length and use some buttercream as "glue" between the layers. Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 5

I always transport stacked unless it's more than three tiers. Buttercream or fondant. The less I have to do at the venue the better thumbs_up.gif

lisamenz Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 5

I have always deliver stacked. Never had a problem, the secret is dowel well, I use the Wilton, hollow round dowels, cut just below the icing on your cakes, so you have support, but it sets down into the buttercream slightly to adhere. Use a leveller to make sure cakes are even as you stack up, balance. I put a styraofoam pad with clean white sheets in my car for transport and off I go!!!! Good luck, don't be nervous. Just take your time driving and give yourselve plenty of time for delivery. Have fun, and Happy Cake Decorating icon_smile.gif

nonilm Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 5

When I have stacked buttercream cakes I store in the refrigerator overnight. The BC stiffens up and makes the cake more stable. IMHO icon_smile.gif I also use hollow dowels and plastic plates for stacking (Wilton).

Quote by @%username% on %date%