Attaching Cut Outs To Wires

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm by MommaDukes

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #1 of 6

Hi CC'ers,

I did some cut outs eg.Star and letters. Not for the life of me I can't figure out how to attach them to the wires to stick into the cake. I tried pushing the wires through them with no luck, Only thing I haven't tried is maybe gluing them with Royal Icing. Don't know if that might work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #2 of 6

Dip the wire in gum glue (tylose and water), then insert the wire while the cutout is still soft. Dry flat. If you pick it up by the wire too soon, the wire will tear through and you'll have to start over, so if you pick them up to flip over, pick it up by the fondant or gumpaste not the wire.

Another way to do it is to heat the end of the wire in a candle flame and then poke it in. It will melt the sugar just enough to bond it to the wire. It will dry faster than the gum glue method because of the heat. I wouldn't do it with painted wire because it might make dangerous fumes though.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:55am
post #3 of 6

thankyou so much!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 6

also, on stars for example, will want to turn so they hang or lay flat at the end of the wire. To prevent this from happening dont put the wire in the middle but more to one side so the heavier side will hang below the wire. Not sure if that makes sense. But anytime you want a flat shape on the end, set the wire more to one side.

emily42897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emily42897 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 6

Sharon Zombito uses candy melts melted to attach her cutouts to wire. I was just reading one of her tutorials and she showed that.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

I made a cake recently with the stars on wire, I made my stars a little thick not too much and as soon as I made them I stuck the wire in them, patted it just a tiny bit and let them dry flat. I made them 2 days ahead of time out of fondant with tylose added.
I had no problem with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%