Consistantly Good White Cake? - Help

Baking By KKristy Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 12:38am by vicki3336

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 14

Ok, I thought I have found the right cake for me...the 'white on white' recipe ( highly recommended here and other places online). I made it the first time and it was great -second time, ...failed (hated the texture), I tried it twice during the past week and once was good, bad the next time.
Does anyone know of a consistantly good white cake recipe that they use regularly ?

13 replies
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 14

Has to be white cake? or can it be golden?

For golden...WASC...the receipe can be found here and I just started using Lorann Oils to change flavor requests. I need a professional taste tester...if I gain any more weight, I'm not going to fit in my kitchen!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 14

My most requested white cake is the "origional" WASC recipe by kakeladi. There are several on here but hers is the BEST.
MY VERSION
1 Box White Cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 cup water (I use 1/2 cup half and half and 1/2 cup water)
1 tablespoon vanilla (I HATE almond flavoring so I use only vanilla, her
recipe calls for both)
Sift all dry ingredients together set aside. In mixing bowl combine sour cream, water eggs and vanilla and add half the dry ingredients. Mix until blended and add remaining dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.

Bake at 325 until done. This recipe (made with DH...DH produces more batter than other mixes) will make four 6" cakes, two 8" cakes or one 12" cake. I often add 6 ounces of Baker's White Chocolate (melted, cooled but still pourable) to the batter...it makes the most awesome tasting cake.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 14

WASC in the recipe section here. thumbs_up.gif

KKristy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions ! I tried WASC in the past, but I don't think it was the original...thought it was a bit too dense. I was looking for a scratch recipe that is lighter...I'm not sure it even exists. And yes, white cake is what i am searching for, not yellow. although I will try that too, if it's good!
Mama - that white chocolate cake sounds so good !

Any light scratch recipes out there?

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:59am
post #6 of 14

I'm an avid user of the WASC receipe in all different variations, however, many times I have used Rose Levy Beranbaum's White Chocolate Whisper cake out of her Cake Bible book and it's excellent.

heidemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidemarie Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 14

KKristy, I have a White Cake Recipe it's from Southern Living My mother- in Law gave this to Me many Years ago. She used to make Lane Cake, and We all love it!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 14

My favorite is this one. I always get good results and people love it.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/a-better-white-scratch-cake

KKristy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks ladies....keep the recipes coming - I'm going to make one everyday....(my 17 year old son plays football, so I have lots of taste testers around, LOL)

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbaker

I'm an avid user of the WASC receipe in all different variations, however, many times I have used Rose Levy Beranbaum's White Chocolate Whisper cake out of her Cake Bible book and it's excellent.

Yes, this is a good cake too.

You might also have a look at King Arthur Flour. They have a good white cake recipe. I thought it was very yummy but was a tiny bit dry the second day.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 14

I'm so glad you posted this. I came on Cake Central today looking for the answer to why I can't get the WOW cake to come out right consistently. When it does, it is, bar none, the best cake I have ever tasted. But I never know when that will be. Of course, it's never when I really NEED it to be, like for my step-son's 21st birthday cake this weekend. I got a lot of help from Snarkybaker on the mixing method, etc., but wonder if her commercial convection oven makes a difference. Anywhoo, I'm glad (but not for you) that I'm not alone in having trouble with this cake. Like you, I'm ready to give up.

KKristy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 14

Vicki - I know, right ? When it does come out right, it is perfect - taste, texture - everything. But I need a recipe that I can count on to be stable. I am mixing everything the right way as stated on recipe, ingredients same temperature, baking correct temperature....so the search is on.
I am making the "A Better White Scratch Cake" this afternoon...

vicki3336 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 14

Good luck! I'll be waiting to hear how it turns out. Have you tried the scratch WASC? It got good reviews on this site. I tried it once, it came out okay but shrank quite a bit...though others didn't have that problem. I read on another thread while looking for answers that the answer is to use the "proper" technique. My question is, what is the "proper" technique? Is there a rule like ALL ingredients should be a room temperature and what, exactly, IS room temperature. I've read you can mix too much, making a cake tough, or too little, making a cake dense. What is the right amount? Does it differ for each recipe? Are recipes made with a stand mixer or hand mixer in mind? I've tried soooo hard. made cakes over and over and wonder if I'm just doomed. icon_cry.gif I guess if it were easy, we'd all do it.

vicki3336 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #14 of 14

I'm so glad you posted this. I came on Cake Central today looking for the answer to why I can't get the WOW cake to come out right consistently. When it does, it is, bar none, the best cake I have ever tasted. But I never know when that will be. Of course, it's never when I really NEED it to be, like for my step-son's 21st birthday cake this weekend. I got a lot of help from Snarkybaker on the mixing method, etc., but wonder if her commercial convection oven makes a difference. Anywhoo, I'm glad (but not for you) that I'm not alone in having trouble with this cake. Like you, I'm ready to give up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%