Not A Disaster In My Eyes...what Do You Think

Decorating By cabecakes Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm by Btrfly578

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 36

I am not a professional cake designer by any sense of the word, I do it for family and friends. I have sold a few, but not nearly enough to make any real money at it. I made a wedding cake for my step-daughter's wedding yesterday. I had hours invested in this cake. I set the cake up on a table outside (which I didn't want to do...especially since it was about 90 degrees out). The cake sat outside in this heat for 4 hours before they finally got around to cutting it...and someone has the audacity to say my cake looked like crap. I thought it was holding up quite well considering the circumstances. The picture is in my photos. I just wondered what you thought. It is the yellow and green, 4 tier oval wedding cake. My step-daughter just loved it...and I thought it looked great...but by the time it sat there all that time it began to (for the lack of a better term) look squatty. It looked as though maybe the icing were melting and bulging the fondant a little. But I didn't think it looked like crap. I was very hurt. I thought that it showed very poor taste to make a comment like that if they didn't know who made the cake and whether they could be standing within hearing distance of their nasty comment. Where are some peoples manners.
LL

35 replies
ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 36

I think it looks beautiful! And your step daughter loved it and isn't she the only one who matters? icon_smile.gif

preppie523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preppie523 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 36

I think it looks great! Especially for outside weather. Some people just have to find something to talk about to draw attention to themselves and fill blank conversation. You did a great job and all that matters is that the bride loved it and had a great day!

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 36

I love the coloring!!
One thing you could of done was to see that the cake was brought inside till they were ready to cut it, then bring it out. If the bride was happy then don't worry about it, her opinion is what counts :0)
You did good!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 36

I think it's lovely - some people just need to complain about everything....my mother taught me when I was little "if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all" I've learned throughout my life, not all mom's teach people this great lesson icon_wink.gif
I would be very proud and happy to serve this at my wedding!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 36

I certainly don't think it's a disaster. I think it looks great. Really. You should direct this person to cakewrecks.com

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 36

Grrr. Don't you wish you had a spectacular comeback for people like that?

Also, I wanted to say, "howdy!" I have college classes with Coshocton folk sometimes. icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanne04

I think it's lovely - some people just need to complain about everything....my mother taught me when I was little "if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all" I've learned throughout my life, not all mom's teach people this great lesson icon_wink.gif
I would be very proud and happy to serve this at my wedding!

That's what my mom taught me that too!! I think your cake is very beautiful, and what counts is that your step daughter was happy with it. GREAT JOB!!!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #9 of 36

i agree with everyone, fantastic cake, i can fully appreciate all the time and effort (being self taught myself) that things take longer and are often more difficult than others realize, the point is, it's a great cake, you obviously enjoyed making it for your step daughter-and hey ...she loved it!! congrats!
remember, sticks and stones.... icon_biggrin.gif

yianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yianna Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #10 of 36

I think the cake looks good. Especially that it had been outside for a fair while.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #11 of 36

Nothing about that cake looks like crap to me; as a matter of fact I think your colors are lovely. And even if it started to melt a little, it looks fine to me - at least it's not leaning!

LOL, send that person my way and I'll be HAPPY to give them something I've practiced on. Then I can send them straight back to you with a well-deserved apology. icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Grrr. Don't you wish you had a spectacular comeback for people like that?

Also, I wanted to say, "howdy!" I have college classes with Coshocton folk sometimes. icon_smile.gif

comeback/retort: well, after all this time in the heat, just like the cake, you don't look so well yourself!

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #13 of 36

cakes don't go in heat period. take charge of your creation. and whoever said people expect too much because of tv shows, please. it's called practice. practice and you can make them perfect too.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #14 of 36

Congratulations on creating a beautiful cake for your step-daughter, and for holding your tongue and not causing a scene when that "guest" showed no manners or respect for your family! I don't think I would have been as restrained.

How rude to bitch about the cake within earshot of the brides family, nevermind in front of the person who actually put their time, effort, love and money into creating it - if you are a guest at someones wedding you should show your hosts some respect!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:49am
post #15 of 36

eh, just ignore them. The cake is nice and the temp was horrible and was a force to be dealt with.
I will share a story from this weekend.

I had an outside wedding, first wedding cake, 5 tier and in the low 90's for temp.
The cake was onsite at 3:00 but wasn't cut till 6:30. Right before the couple got there I was fanning gnats and flies away from the cake and a woman next to me says, "the cake is melting" and "there are gnats stuck in it". I said, "yes, its very hot out here and yes, there are gnats stuck in the buttercream". She wanted to dig them out with her fingernails at which point I said no. She had no clue I had made the cake and probably thought I was a weirdo...lol

Some people have no tact and have NO clue what goes in to making a cake like that.
Chin up...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:31am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

...and someone has the audacity to say my cake looked like crap. I thought it was holding up quite well considering the circumstances. The picture is in my photos. I just wondered what you thought.

I'll be honest. I'm sure you know where the flaws are, but I wouldn't say it looked like crap. It's great that your step daughter loved it--that's all that matters.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #17 of 36

No, the cake does NOT look like crap at all. It looks nice and I personally think the colors went well together. There may be some buldging but does not make this look like "crap" because it is totally NOT. Don't let others eat your confidence away.

You know what, when I first entered a competition, there was a lady who said she totally hates my cake. It bothered me A LOT but when the winners were announced, I was shocked and surprised that I even won a prize. From then on, I will never let anyone affect me--especially when I am very happy about my cake.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:54am
post #18 of 36

maybe the commenter was just jealous icon_wink.gif It looks greaticon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:43am
post #19 of 36

I think you did a great job. 90 degrees for four hours is tough on a cake (heck it's tough on me!). It's a very pretty cake, I like to colors too. Very fresh and summery.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 36

I like it. I'll bet it got lots of smiles.
The person was a boob.
(That cake looks way better than I would - after 4 hours in 90 degree heat, I would be dying!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

...Right before the couple got there I was fanning gnats and flies away from the cake and a woman next to me says, "the cake is melting" and "there are gnats stuck in it". I said, "yes, its very hot out here and yes, there are gnats stuck in the buttercream". She wanted to dig them out with her fingernails at which point I said no. ...lol ...

Image Gnat protection.
You have to anchor the edges, or then you worry about the netting blowing into the cake!... sigh LOL

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I like it. I'll bet it got lots of smiles.
The person was a boob.
(That cake looks way better than I would - after 4 hours in 90 degree heat, I would be dying!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

...Right before the couple got there I was fanning gnats and flies away from the cake and a woman next to me says, "the cake is melting" and "there are gnats stuck in it". I said, "yes, its very hot out here and yes, there are gnats stuck in the buttercream". She wanted to dig them out with her fingernails at which point I said no. ...lol ...

Image Gnat protection.
You have to anchor the edges, or then you worry about the netting blowing into the cake!... sigh LOL

oh, this would have been wonderful to have! Thanks for showing that thumbs_up.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #22 of 36

Ewww! Someone's fingernails in the cake! Yuk! Who knows if those nails are clean!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #23 of 36

I personally like Doug's response! icon_biggrin.gif

It is not your fault that the weddng was outdoors. I don't know of anything that can withstand 90 degrees for four hours...jeesh.

Your step daughter will forever remember the wonderful gift you gave her for her wedding, and that is ALL that matters. icon_smile.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:15pm
post #24 of 36

What a gorgeous cake! You did a wonderful job. And, it does NOT look like crap! Love the colors!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 36

another retort:

i guess the cake, just like you, must be related to the wicked witch of the west!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

another retort:

i guess the cake, just like you, must be related to the wicked witch of the west!

Another retort: "Awwww are you still mad that someone dropped a house on your sister?"

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #27 of 36

Love doug's first response!!!!!!icon_smile.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #28 of 36

Hey, it looks GREAT! I can see how your daughter loved it! Good job.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 36

Doug's reply: For The Win!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #30 of 36

I've seen cake disasters (my last cake, for instance lol ), and THAT's not a disaster. I think your cake held up great for the conditions.

Daytime outdoor wedding+summertime+cake=just about can't win.

You did a great job...ignore the haters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%