Marzipan Under Fondant

Decorating By crumbcake Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm by BlakesCakes

crumbcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone put marzipan under their fondant? I see bakers in the UK do this, is it overly sweet and thick? I bought some marzipan sheets in Germany just to try, would appreciate any feedback.

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

I think of this as more of a British tradition, but it can be quite delicious, especially over a fruitcake. Of course, it's total sugar overload, but some of us actually like this. I'm NOT one of those people who think the only good use for a fruitcake is as a doorstop, but I am a fan of paper-thin slices!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 6

The marzipan is put on fruit cakes in order to create a nice smooth surface for the royal icing or fondant covering. It also helps to hold in the extreme moisture added to the cakes when they're soaked with booze.

American style/sponge cakes don't need the marzipan for these reasons, and probably wouldn't hold up well to the added weight--unless it was paper thin.

It's also not an "expected" flavor or texture as far as sponge cakes, and certainly one that might not marry well with certain cake flavors.

Buttercream or ganache serve the purpose better on sponge cakes.

Rae

Marianna46 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 6

Great answer, Rae!

crumbcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

Thank s for your replies, will not be making fruitcake any time soon! But have several of Peggy Porschens's books and she always uses marizpan under her fondant!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

Thank s for your replies, will not be making fruitcake any time soon! But have several of Peggy Porschens's books and she always uses marizpan under her fondant!

Yes, she does..........she's in London, England, and "Amercian" style cakes with buttercream under fondant are a relatively new trend over the last, maybe 10 years, or so.
She is also a scratch baker because cake mixes are nearly unheard of in Europe, so the density and texture of her cakes would be quite different from many of those here in the US.
Finally, marzipan IS and "expected" texture and taste in Europe. It isn't here.

But, obviously, in the end, it's up to the baker and the cake eater. As a baker, I wouldn't want the expense and as an eater, I wouldn't want it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%