Covering Cake Boards With Fondant Icing In Advance

Decorating By threetiercake Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm by threetiercake

threetiercake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 8

I have a few cake boards I have to cover before placing the cakes on top.This is my 1st wedding cake ( for a friend) and I am SO terrified, it will be a stacked cake of 3 (12,10,8, then a square separator with a 6" sitting on top of that.
My question is -Can I cover the boards several days in advance or will the icing crack?
Also,I was planning to cover the cakes with fondant 2 days in advance but reading other forums, lots of folk seem to cover the day before.This is an impossibility for me as I am having lots of family who are travelling for the wedding.All wisdom greatly appreciated--- from a novice. Thanks icon_cry.gif

7 replies
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

Ok, not really understanding the question...are you talking about covering the 1/2 to 1 inch thick base? The cake drum? If this is what you are talking about, yes, you can cover it days before and not worry about it. However if you are talking about the cardboard rounds that sit in between the layers of cake tiers then there is no need to cover them with anything more than plastic wrap just to keep the moisture of the cake from making the cardboard soft...you won't even need to worry about that if you stack your cakes on two layers of rounds. Personally I use plastic seperator plates...so from the top of your cake (If I were making it) would be the top tier which would set on top of a cardboard round and then a plastic round which would be on the columns..under that the next tier which would set on a cardboard round then a plastic round then the next tier and so on till the last tier which would set on a cardboard round and then onto a thick cake drum that was covered in fondant. Oh, and yes, you can cover your cakes a few days ahead. I wouldn't go more than three before the event (especially if you have fruit filling which can soak into the cake and make it soggy) but you can do it. HTH. Cat

cathyscakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 8

I have Jennifer Dontz's video and she always covers her 1/2" plywood base with fondant ahead of time, she says you want it to harden up a bit, she an expert at this, so it should be fine. Not sure if you were just talking about the base, but the base is all I would cover with fondant.

dsilvest Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 8

It is better to cover the board at least a week in advance so the fondant has a chance to harden. There will be less chance that you will make fingerprint dents in it as it is handled later on during the delivery and assembly process.

sweetiesbykim Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

It is better to cover the board at least a week in advance so the fondant has a chance to harden. There will be less chance that you will make fingerprint dents in it as it is handled later on during the delivery and assembly process.

DITTO!! Get 'em done and out of the way early. BUT, I've also seen on Sharon Zambito's and Jennifer Dontz's videos to place the cake on the plain board, then roll a strip of fondant and place it around the cake on the base, so as not to waste fondant under the cake. I think it's easier for me to roll out the whole board and let it dry a week, though. HTH icon_smile.gif

threetiercake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:47am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will definitely get them done ahead.
Just to clarify my confusing ramble (the stress is dulling my brain) The cake Drums are for the very bottom of the stacked cake and for under the top cake which will sit on top of a cube separator. They will be slightly larger than their cakes and YES each cakel will have a thinner cake board board underneath.Thanks again

scorpio711 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:35am
post #7 of 8

Hi I cover my boards sometimes 2 weeks ahead of time, they harden and as the lady said you have less chance of damaging the board when putting the cake on. I do wish everyone would cover their boards, many cakes would look much classier, I think the silver boards look cheap, and spoil the whole set up. I have just seen a beautiful cake so neat and well don on a thin silver board. YUK

threetiercake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for tip, I am doing buttercream under fondant, how soon can I cover these cakes with fondant? The wedding is on a Thurs and I was planning to do these on prev. Tuesday. Cake won't be eaten until evening time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%