Can I Use Lemon Juice Instead Of Lemon Extract?

Baking By mom2spunkynbug Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm by CakeandDazzle

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making Wilton's Lemon Cake recipe & it calls for Lemon Extract...can I use lemon juice instead?

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 12

I would think that you could sub some of the liquid with lemon juice but I would still use the lemon extract. The lemon juice may not "flavor" the cake enough. But that's just what I would do. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 12

Also, the lemon juice is acid whereas the extract isn't. This might affect the chemistry of the cake.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 12

I just noticed that I don't have any lemon extract...

But I do have lemon juice...and lemons. Maybe double the lemon zest that is supposed to go into it???

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 12

i use lemo juice in my cakes all the time.... usually for two 8 in recipe i juice two lemon, plus all the zest.... i actually add this to my basic white cake instead of vanilla & almond... hth

laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 12

i usually use the zest and the juice when i don't have the xtract and i believe it makes the cake moister and more refreshing! but that's just me!! =)

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #7 of 12

HA! I was just looking into this today...

lemon extract is made from the peel and steeped in alcohol. No acid as PP mentioned. This taste is diff from the lemon juice.

If you must sub, I would do twice the amount called for OF PEEL, not juice. The alcohol bakes off so I wouldn't worry about liquid calculations being off...

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

i use lemo juice in my cakes all the time.... usually for two 8 in recipe i juice two lemon, plus all the zest.... i actually add this to my basic white cake instead of vanilla & almond... hth

this is exactly what I'm attempting this weekend! Using "better scratch white cake" with lemon extract...how much peel and juice do u usually use? I

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #9 of 12

I made a lemon cake for my brother last night and I used 1/4 cup lemon juice and 3/4 cup sprite for the liquid. I also added 1 T. grated lemon peel and 1 tsp. lemon extract. It turned out really good.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:12am
post #10 of 12

made a cake just last night - used lemon juice, zest of two lemons and lemon extract (more lemon juice than extract) and then added a little vanilla. You should have no problems!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #11 of 12

My lemon version of the scratch WASC uses 1 cup of lemon juice instead of the milk, 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of lemon extract. I also add a teaspoon of baking soda to the flour-baking powder-salt mixture. Very flavorful!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

this is exactly what I'm attempting this weekend! Using "better scratch white cake" with lemon extract...how much peel and juice do u usually use? I

I dont measure! lol seriously the juice & zest from 2 lemons!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%