Garrett Frill Cutter - Just Use Mmf Or Add Tylose?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm by Marianna46

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 2

I am going to be using the garrett frill cutter to make ruffles as in picture link. I did a trial run yesterday and the fondant alone seems like it will fall/pull. Should I add a little tylose/gumtex?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=22796

2nd question: I tried to do the ruffling and it was a disaster! It did not ruffle at all... Does the fondant have to be fairly thin? What tool is the best to use? Any tips?
Last question: I want 2 colors of ruffles (yellow and white) on white, do I do a double ruffle or will that look odd? If yes, how would I do it so it looks good? If not, how could I best incorporate both colors. The princess cake on top is yellow. Or would adding a 3rd color to the cake in the form of a 2nd ruffle (like pink or purple) look better ?
TIA icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 2

If you're worried about your frills drooping, you can add a little tylose or gumtex. I've done them both with and without. Frilling takes a little practice. Before you actually need the frills for a cake, roll out a little fondant and practice on the edge. The best tool I've found for frilling is a large cocktail stick, although I use a standard size one when I don't have the larger ones. You need to put the edge you want to frill on a flat piece of foam rubber that's neither too firm nor too soft - that's another thing that practice will have to tell you. As for the colors, I can suggest 2 possibilities. Either do a row of each color or roll out some yellow and then some white till they're fairly thin. Put one on top of the other and continue rolling until you get the desired thickness for starting to frill. That way, the frill will be one color on one side and the other color on the other one. That works very nicely for swags and things, although you might not be able to see both colors on a frill. Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%