Did Torting Make A Dry Cake?

Decorating By videominx Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 3:01am by sugarshack

videominx Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

I did a cake for a friend last night, yellow WASC, two 2-layer tiers, each tier torted into two layers. The filling was a dark chocolate fudge filling. Covered dark chocolate/semi-sweet chocolate ganache with MMF. When I tasted the final product it was okay but a little dry to my taste. I did use simple syrup on the layers before adding filling. The only thing I can think of was that it took me awhile to cover the exterior with the ganache because it had not yet set up to the right consistency. Would being without a crumb coat for 20-30 minutes have been enough time to dry out the cake? The customer seemed to enjoy the cake, but I know my cakes and most of them are considerably moister. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 6

That would not dry out a cake, maybe just your recipe was off slightly in something you measured

kellymarie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

If you cut the cake while it was still too hot, sometimes the moisture can escape that way.... can you tell i speak from experience? lol

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 6

My guess is that the cake wasn't actually dry, but tasted dry because of all of the dark chocolate.

Dark chocolate is very alkaline and has less cocoa butter in it than milk chocolate. This can make cakes and icings taste "dry".

videominx Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the insight into the science behind the dark chocolate. That's a possibility that I never considered. My boyfriend kept insisting that it was fine, but my work was on display for lots of co-workers and I was super sensitive. All plates were left clean, though, so I should just be happy with that.

sugarshack Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 6

IMHO, yellow cake, that is not even overbaked, trnds to be drier than other flavors to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%