Help With Fondant Shoe Laces

Decorating By cookstar34 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm by cookstar34

cookstar34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookstar34 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for the cancer walk this weekend. I am making a pair of sneakers. I am covering the cake in fondant and would like to make the laces out of fondant and lace the sneakers with it.

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

JEM (I think) makes a series of cutters that will cut strips of different widths. That's what I use (you can see the shoelaces in the "fondant baby shoe" picture in my photos). But if you don't have one of those, and can't get one in time, then roll out your fondant to the thickness you want and cut strips using a straight edge and a pizza cutter. Cut one line against the straight edge then move it a little to the left (you'll have to eyeball this to make sure the strip is the same width everywhere) and cut again. The pizza cutter is important, because it won't deform your fondant as you cut as much as a knife will. Hope this helps!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 4

I used my clay extruder to make the laces. Remember, they don't actually lace like real shoes. You just tuck the end of a piece of fondant in a hole. Make sure to pinch the loose end of the lace to make it smaller than the rest of the lace.

cookstar34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookstar34 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the tips. I will let you know how it comes out. I will post the pictures. thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%