First Time Using Viva Method. Would Love Some Suggestions.

Decorating By au_decorator_76 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 7:18am by sweettreat101

au_decorator_76 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 15

I made a cake this weekend and used the Viva method with RaRaRobyn Crusting buttercream icing and I thought it came out much nicer and smoother than my first cake that wouldn't crust for me to use the method. LOL.

It's not perfect though which I didn't expect it to be but I'd love for y'all to look at it and give me some tips on how to be more consistent. I know practice makes perfect. icon_smile.gif

I let it crust, smoothed it, then it sat overnight before decorating. I smoothed it again that morning because it needed it in some spots.
LL
LL

14 replies
metria Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 15

do you have another tool to help you smooth it? like a fondant smoother or a paint roller (melvira method)?

KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 15

Your cakes look very similar to mine! I can't wait to see the answer!

PS - that's why God made gum paste flowers and other decorations, so you could hide that!!!

au_decorator_76 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 15

metria I don't have any other tool but that's a great idea. I think I'll get a fondant smoother and try that.

msulli10 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 15

Use a fondant smother and you'll get crisper edges. Just make sure that the paper towel doesn't stick to the buttercream - it needs to be really crusted.

au_decorator_76 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 15

I thankfully didn't have any problem with it sticking. I put wax paper on it first then used the paper towel on top of that. I like the idea of crisper edges. That's what bothered me about this cake.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 15

Your icing looks too thick to me. Did you use a scraper to smooth BEFORE using the viva? You're suppose to use a scraper and get it as smooth as possible and give you an even coat of buttercream before using the viva and roller. Fondant smoother help get that straight edge as someone mentioned. I do use fondant smoothers for the "finish" on my cake but you can get alot of that straight edge by using the scraper first.

aprilblack Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Your icing looks too thick to me. Did you use a scraper to smooth BEFORE using the viva? You're suppose to use a scraper and get it as smooth as possible and give you an even coat of buttercream before using the viva and roller. Fondant smoother help get that straight edge as someone mentioned. I do use fondant smoothers for the "finish" on my cake but you can get alot of that straight edge by using the scraper first.




I agree that the icing looked too thick and not consistent all the way around.. The scaper AND the fondant smoother are two mandatory items you have to have!!

au_decorator_76 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 15

what is a scraper?

When someone says "you are supposed to...etc" Well a newbie in a second Wilton class aren't going to know these things which is why I'm asking.

I like thick icing.... I'll definitely figure out a way to make it work good with thick icing. It's the best part of the cake. icon_wink.gif But getting it evenly coated is what I obviously had problems with.

JennasNonna Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 15

I have 2 scrapers that I use regularly along with a rollar, fondant smoother and the viva paper towels. You will love the scrapers. They help get a smooth coat first and then just needs minor touch ups with the other tools.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

what is a scraper?

When someone says "you are supposed to...etc" Well a newbie in a second Wilton class aren't going to know these things which is why I'm asking.

I like thick icing.... I'll definitely figure out a way to make it work good with thick icing. It's the best part of the cake. icon_wink.gif But getting it evenly coated is what I obviously had problems with.




I use a "thick" coat of icing but it can be "too thick" and it needs to be evenly coated which the scraper will help with. You're in your second Wilton class and you don't know what a scraper is? icon_confused.gif What DO they teach in those classes icon_wink.gif It's a wide scraper that removes excess icing and smooths as it does. Check out some videos on youtube. Edna (designmeacake dot com) has great tutorials on "how to smooth buttercream".

au_decorator_76 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 15

haha. Yeah I know. I like our teacher but I don't know if I've gotten what I should out of this class. I'm learning a lot more from here. Her method of smoothing was using a paint roller and I wasn't a big fan of that. She never once mentioned a scraper.

I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, I'll look for this tool. icon_smile.gif Thanks a bunch!

msulli10 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 15

Go on Youtube and look for videos of icing cakes. You will see how a bench scraper is used. Toedna uses a lot of buttercream and her cakes are phenomenal.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Go on Youtube and look for videos of icing cakes. You will see how a bench scraper is used. Toedna uses a lot of buttercream and her cakes are phenomenal.




Like I said in my previous post Edna (desingmeacake dot com) on youtube...that's tonedna. thumbs_up.gif not toedna icon_wink.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:18am
post #15 of 15

To much frosting. Try using the Wilton cake icing tip. It will give you a more consistent base of frosting to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%