When Using The Push Down Methody Of Leveling . . .

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 2:08am by sheilabelle

sheilabelle Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 11

When you use the push down method for leveling your cake (take out of oven and use a clean dish towel to gently push down the cake to take out the dome), which side of the cake is up when your place it on your board? Do you put the top of the cake on the board? Seems silly to ask since I have done a few cakes, but just wondering what everyone else does?

10 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 11

I guess it's just personal preference but I flip mine out onto a cakeboard then onto the rack top side up.

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 11

I know a lot of people do this, and sometimes so do I, but please don't confuse this process with true leveling. It is not leveling.

sandy1 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 11

When I use this method I remove the cake from the oven and within the first minute, using a cake circle, I gently press down on the top of the cake while it's still in the pan.

Sassy74 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 11

I flip it out onto the board top side down, pan side up. Love this method!

rlc23 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 11

This NEVER works for me! I push... and my cake bounces right back. Am I doing something wrong?

LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I know a lot of people do this, and sometimes so do I, but please don't confuse this process with true leveling. It is not leveling.

My son wants to make a smash cake for his new daughter. He was explaining how he was going to make it, in a very complicate way. My DD and I explained to him about leveling the cake. As a lover of cake he was mortified that we could cut off the top of the cake to make it level with the edges. His exact words were, Why would you waste cake???. icon_biggrin.gif

We told, oh no you don't waste, you make cake balls! He had never heard of cake balls. Do you believe it???!!!

Anyways, my real point for posting...can you explain why this is not true leveling? I'm curious. I have never tried the flatten the top kind of thing. I was going to suggest this method to my son, but if it won't work for him, then I won't tell him about it.

emiyeric Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

As leah_s points out, this isn't really levelling, though ... it's awesome, because it does get rid of air bubbles in the cake when it's still hot and easily fixed, flattening out the dome substantially and making the texture of the cake more homogeneous. But it still needs to be levelled! You may end up discarding less cake because the top has been pushed down, but it's still certainly not truly flat!

Sassy74 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc23

This NEVER works for me! I push... and my cake bounces right back. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you doing it AS SOON AS the cake comes out of the oven? If you allow the cake to cool, the internal structure sets, and the cake becomes more resilient to any pushing or prodding lol .

As soon as your cake comes out of the oven, gently push down, rotate the cake, push down, rotate the cake, etc. Do it a little at the time while turning your cake. It may take several passes, but you should be able to get it done if your cake is still warm.

poohsmomma Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 11

I have done this occasionally when the dome of the cake is very slight. I always wonder, though, if that makes the consistency of the cake more "heavy"- for lack of a better word-where it's smooshed together.
Anyone have any thoughts on that?

sheilabelle Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #11 of 11

Leah - Would you share your time-line and steps when making a tiered cake. I would love to know from one of the experts. TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%