Need Opinions Will I Get The Post?

Lounge By kellyanne1981 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm by Karen421

kellyanne1981 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:01am
post #1 of 8

hey totally off topic and a bit long but here goes

i currently work as a project worker but previousely i was an asb officer and an enforcemet officer. my current job is unstable there is a chance funding wont be continued, and well i cant be out of work. several of my managers have been made redundant.

a job oppertunity has arose which i have applied for, as an asb officer. fantastic great pay, great location, and most importantly permanant. i have the experience everything they have asked for on the job spec, and ive done the job before and worked in jobs which backs up even further.

so i excitedly filled out the application form, putting my current manager as one of my referrences, and i find out after i have submitted the form that my manager is also going for the job, as well as several other managers, and about 20 colleagues past and present,

i dont think i have much to worry about as i have done the actul job they only have knowledge, and i have everything they have and more, except from management experience (but the job isnt for a manager)

would a perspective employer, employ the worker or the boss? bearing in mind the boss hasnt acuallly done the job

does that make sense??

I am so nervous its unbelievable, i dont even know yet if i have been shortlisted...perhaps i should just keep looking for other posts.

thanks for bearing with me, just needed to rant!! lol

kel xx

7 replies
kellyanne1981 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:55am
post #2 of 8

and apologies for the awful spelling and typos lol

cakesbycathy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 8

I think if you really highlighted that you actually HAVE experience DOING the job, you'd have a good shot at it thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!!

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

I would let your resume stand on it's own...........if I am looking to hire a cake decorator to take over my line of carved cakes, I'm not going to hire someone who worked at a bakery where cakes were carved, I'm going to hire the gal that CARVED THE CAKES!

I say you have nothing to worry about!

Karen421 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:36am
post #5 of 8

It use to be the as KHalstead said the most qualified would be the one who got the job - but unfortunately in a business (corporation or manufacturing) it isn't that easy any more. Now some requirements include a minimum 4 year degree, regardless of experience. My husband is having a very hard time with this. He is needing to hire several supervisors, and would love to promote from the experienced people already working there, but he is having to only hire individuals with a college degree. SO what's right? Personally, and said as I am paying for 2 kids to go to college - I believe the one who has done the job, with the experience. If they have a degree, great, but if they have 10 years experience - that speaks volumes!

cabecakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 8

Unfortunately, sometimes neither matter. I have worked for a company for the last five years and have a college degree, and I learned every job in the place in a five year period of time. When a supervisory position became available, I applied for it. I got beat out by a MAN who did not know anything about the company or the work we did and had no more college experience than I did. Sometimes...even in this day and can't beat the old boys club. It would have only been worse if I would have had to train him...then I would have been extremely upset...I was also the trainer at that time.

kellyanne1981 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:03am
post #7 of 8

thanks for all your replies....turns out....they dont know if they can offer the post now due to financial cut all the nerves were just a waste of energy.....never mind. onwards and upwards....perhaps i should just bake lol

Karen421 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sorry! Baking is always good!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%