Banana Birthday Cake

Baking By yianna Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm by dawncr

yianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yianna Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 8

Hi

A friend of mine is having birthday in July.

They love Bananas.

I was hoping for a huge favor.

What are your favourite recipes for banana birthday cakes?

Thank You

7 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 8

So not an answer but a great tip I got from my mom. Let your bananas get really dark spotted then freeze. When ready to bake, defrost and cut one end off and the fruit just spills out. Very little mashing needed. Sometimes a bit liquidy, but always tastes awesome. Very banana-y.

yianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yianna Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

hi minicuppie

that is an awesome tip!

thank you

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 8

I made my first scratch banana cake this past week.

This is the recipe I used:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/banana-cake-vi/Detail.aspx

I made a few changes--used cake flour rather than AP and baked at 300 degrees rather than 275. It was OK, but didn't rise very much. Didn't work well as cupcakes (small, flat, dense).

Here's another one I'll probably try next:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Banana-Layer-Cake-with-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-4694
I'd have tried this one first, but the amount of liquid seemed really low (1/4 cup).

I had a hard time trying to decide on filling and frosting. Lots of options for these, including chocolate, peanut butter, caramel, cream cheese. I used choc ganache filling and caramel cream cheese frosting. Added some of Jodie F's caramel to a cream cheese frosting.

Of all the new recipes I tried last week, the Jodie F caramel filling recipe was the absolute best! That stuff is like heroin, and I'm not even a huge caramel fan.

dawncr Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 8

Not sure why the links in my above post aren't working.

The first link is to allrecipes dot com. Just search for "Banana Cake VI."

The second link is to epicurious dot com. Search for "Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting" that was in Bon Appetit 10/97.

I should also add that my family really liked the Banana Cake VI. I just need to tweak the recipe or alter my procedure to make it a little less dense/flat.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 8

I use the buttermilk banana cake recipe from here and it is amazing. My picky son even loves this cake with peanut butter buttercream. YUM!!!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2381/buttermilk-banana-cake

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

So not an answer but a great tip I got from my mom. Let your bananas get really dark spotted then freeze. When ready to bake, defrost and cut one end off and the fruit just spills out. Very little mashing needed. Sometimes a bit liquidy, but always tastes awesome. Very banana-y.

I do too - it works great.

I use the Epicurious recipe suggested above all the time. Very good flavor and texture...in fact just used it for a Father's Day cake and it was delicious.

dawncr Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

I use the Epicurious recipe suggested above all the time. Very good flavor and texture...in fact just used it for a Father's Day cake and it was delicious.

Good to know--I'll try it next time!

The recipe had great reviews and I love that site, but I was scared of the low liquid. I know the bananas contribute some, but I usually freeze my bananas. Then, I let them thaw and pour off the water/liquid and puree the 'concentrated' banana in a food processor. I was worried that my bananas had a lower percentage of liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%