First Wedding Cake Day Is Over. Yay! I Lived Through It.!

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 16

Just wanted to say thanks to so many of you here that helped me through the last week or so during my many questions. This was my first wedding cake and I was scared.
Well, I lived through it although I was soaked in sweat by the end of the reception. The temp was in the low 90's and it was outside...so stinking hot.

I stayed and cut the cake. That was an experience to say the least icon_lol.gif

Bride wanted gerbera daisy's and I was thankful after having bumps in the buttercream and not being able to smooth them since the frosting was too soft by then with the heat.

The SPS system worked well although it did tilt to one side slightly I am not sure why though. I used a level on each plate. Live and learn I suppose.

Any way, thanks again and I will think twice before I accept another wedding cake order. What a lot of work!
Cake is in my photo album if you care to see.

15 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #2 of 16

Congratulations! You did a beautiful job!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 16

Your cake is beautiful. Glad that everything went well. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 16

Congrats on your first one! The weather was HOT here today too, not good outdoor wedding weather!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 16

Beautiful cake! I don't see a tilt in it at all. thumbs_up.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #6 of 16

gorgeous cake. Didnt see the tilt..and you should definately do more wedding cakes !!

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:56am
post #7 of 16

Give yourself some time to recoup and then you'll be ready to tackle another. Beautiful cake by the way!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:06am
post #8 of 16

Very pretty cake thumbs_up.gif You did a great job!

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #9 of 16

Yay! Congratulations! Weddings are something I would like to get into eventually, but with all the horror stories on here it freaks me out so props to you icon_biggrin.gif The cake looks great-very uniform and pretty!

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you all for the compliments! I woke up this morning with such a sense of relief that it was over icon_lol.gif
Now, I have so much grocery shopping to do since the cakes took over the refrigerator for the past 4 days and the family had no food...hahahaha

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 16

The cake is lovely. Congratulations on getting through it, with such beautiful results!
Does anyone have any idea why the SPS gave way to a tilt (which I do not see in the photo)?
Maybe Leah can offer some insight.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 16

Your cake looks great, and I bet you slept great last night also!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 16

You did an amazing job, that cake is beautiful and Huge, wow and I also did not see a lean. Congrats now you are ready to do many more.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 16

Beautiful cake..congratulations and time to relax!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 16

You did a great job! The cake is beautiful! Hope it tasted as good as it was beautiful!

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

The cake is lovely. Congratulations on getting through it, with such beautiful results!
Does anyone have any idea why the SPS gave way to a tilt (which I do not see in the photo)?
Maybe Leah can offer some insight.

Thanks for the kind words. I was just unpacking all the stuff from the wedding and noticed one of the legs on the SPS had cracked and a small pieced had chipped off the end that goes into the plate.

I did level them all when stacking but maybe with that heat something gave way? Or, maybe the heat made a cake layer/filling collapse?

People were still raving about the how yummy it was at church this morning so I guess all is good icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%