Making The Cake Now, Can't Get The Collar To Stand Up

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 5:59am by mom2twogrlz

Hollandy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

so I'm doing the button down shirt cake for Father's Day, tomorrow, like in 3 hours here actually and I think my collar is going to collapse. How do you get it to stand up and not fold down? Do you think I rolled my fondant too thick?

Oh and my crusting buttercream has been sitting to crust for like 20 minutes now and it's still not crusted. argh!

4 replies
kimbordeaux Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

I use tylose to stiffen my fondant when needed. Can't help with buttercream I work mostly with fondant. My buttercream work is not seen under fondant.

Christy0722 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

I take small sections of crumpled saran wrap and place under the fondant. This helps it keep it's shape while it dries. It may not keep it from collapsing completely but it may help a little bit. HTH!

Ren715 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:41am
post #4 of 5

Did you fold your collar over in half so it's doubled? That should help keep it up. Also crunch up tissue or saran wrap to hold it in place until it sets. I covered my shirt cake in fondant so I can't help you with how it will set up on buttercream. Good luck!

mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:59am
post #5 of 5

try putting your cake in the fridge or freezer for a few, that will help the buttercream to stiffen. It may not completely crust, but you will be able to top it with your fondant easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%