Help! Power Went Out...are Eggs Still Good?

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm by vtcake

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

We had a heck of a storm blow through last night and our power was out for 6 hours. I had a fridge in the garage full of eggs and containers of sour cream for a big wedding this week...should I play it safe and get all new ingredients? The door to the fridge was never opened and the garage door was closed all night too...I don't know what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 10

Since your fridge was never opened it will all be fine. We have storms frequently so I know by experience.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 10

We had that huge storm here last night. Still without power but have a generator going for the frig and freezer. I would think if the frig door and the garage door were closed, your ingredients should be ok. Mine usually is still quite cold even without the generator after 6 hours, with the doors kept closed, however, any more than that is pushing it. Did you check how cold it was with a thermometer? (Sp?)
Good Luck!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 10

There was an extensive thread on here a while back pointing out the fact that most nations in the world do not ever refrigerate eggs. I think egg producers in this country put eggs through a variety of sterilization processes as well. Your eggs will be fine.

If you're not sure, scramble one up for your DH and see what happens. : ) NO, I'm just kidding.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 10

I'd say that they're probably okay, unlike the 2 dozen I left in the back of the 4Runner for 3 days....in 90 degree heat...big oops!

Kellbella Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all soooo much! Ruth...I just about fell out of my chair laughing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif He is my guinea-pig icon_lol.gif Thanks again ladies.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 10

your eggs are perfectly fine. But for future reference.. fill a glass with cold water and put your egg in it..

if it sinks to the bottom and stays there, it is about three to six days old.
if it sinks, but floats at an angle, it's more than a week old.
if it sinks, but then stands on end, it's about two weeks old.
If it floats, it's too old and should be thrown away.

And to take it one step further if you are using farm fresh eggs.. and want to test to make sure the egg is not spoiled or been sitting in the chicken coop too long.. dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 2 cups cold water, then put the egg in the water. If it sinks it's good.. if it floats, it's way too old to use, or has a developing chick inside. icon_lol.gif

Kellbella Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

your eggs are perfectly fine. But for future reference.. fill a glass with cold water and put your egg in it..

if it sinks to the bottom and stays there, it is about three to six days old.
if it sinks, but floats at an angle, it's more than a week old.
if it sinks, but then stands on end, it's about two weeks old.
If it floats, it's too old and should be thrown away.

And to take it one step further if you are using farm fresh eggs.. and want to test to make sure the egg is not spoiled or been sitting in the chicken coop too long.. dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 2 cups cold water, then put the egg in the water. If it sinks it's good.. if it floats, it's way too old to use, or has a developing chick inside. icon_lol.gif

Wow! I never knew any of that!! icon_surprised.gif Thanks Tesso

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 10

I have eaten eggs that weren't refridgerated for a few days. As long as there are no cracks in the shells, they should be fine. icon_biggrin.gif

And tesso thanks for the info! I always like to learn something new (that's why I spend so much time on cc icon_smile.gif ).

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

If the eggs stand on one end, they are safe for hard-boiling only.

If float..toss them.

You don't really need to add salt to do this to fresh eggs, I have only fresh eggs and never have added salt to test some from the back of my fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%