I Fell To Peer Pressure....

Decorating By KayMc Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm by KayMc

KayMc Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 11

I kept reading on here about using clay extruders, so today I bought one wtih a 50% off coupon @ Michael's. Now what? What do you all do with it? I'm guessing I can use fondant in it to get different textures and shapes. Can I also use gumpaste in it? Any advice would be appreciated!

10 replies
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 11

yes to different shapes and textures (easy to do hair, fur, tassels, ropes, etc.)

yes to gumpaste

for both may have to soften a bit.

advice: P L A Y ! !

this is K-1 time again

you have legal permission to be a kid and make a big mess finding out what it can do.

just reuse the same fondant over and over trying all the the disc inserts.

P L A Y !!!

have fun!

KayMc Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 11

Sounds like fun! Now I need to practice my piping AND playing with the extruder!

yummy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 11

What brand extruder did you get? I'm between to Michaels, and both of them just opened about 3 mons. ago but one is in an area where I go 5 days a week. I keep looking for the Makins Professional Clay Extruder and this Michaels sell another brand. I forgot the name of it but if you tell me I'll remember. I haven't called or visited the other Michaels yet; I'm curious to know if different stores carry different brands.

pattycakesnj Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 11

hope you got the green Makins one, the silver one sold at Michaels is crap.

KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 11

Oh no, did I buy crap? Michaels' only carried one type: Walnut Hollow. Has a black handle and a silver top? If that's the crap one, what makes it crap? icon_cry.gif

Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by KayMc

Oh no, did I buy crap? Michaels' only carried one type: Walnut Hollow. Has a black handle and a silver top? If that's the crap one, what makes it crap? icon_cry.gif

KayMc, did you buy the extruder on the link? If so, its different than the silver extruder that doesn't work very well.

The plain silver one is a piece of junk. To me it is anyway. its extremely hard on my hands no matter how soft I get my fondant or gumpaste. I gave up using it long ago.

KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 11

Yes, Joyfull 4444, I did get the one that is shown on the link you provided. I'm so glad to hear it's not the nasty one you were talking about! I have decreased mobility in both hands, so this is always a concern for me.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 11

I have the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder (green with twist handle) and I LOVE IT....I make borders, bows, quilled flowers, hair, ropes, script, and so many other things. You'll need to add shortening to your fondant way more than you would just for kneading. I would replace mine in a New York minute if something were to happen to mine. It's one of my tools that I couldn't do without. icon_lol.gif

Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 11

I also have the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder and I find an excuse to use it on almost every cake I make! I made a music-themed cake day before yesterday and I used it to make the staff lines, the long part of the notes, the treble clef sign and the lettering. Right now, I'm finishing up a 1963 Mustang and I'm using it to make the fenders, the grillwork, and the chrome around the doors and windows. Last week, I made some hamburger-shaped cookies and I used it to pipe out a flat ribbon (think fettucini!) that I turned into the onions. I really don't remember what I did before I got it (not much, I guess!), but it's been a Godsend!

KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 11

I will go look this up now, so I can grieve that I bought the wrong one... icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%