How To Get Grease Spots Off Of The Refridgerator?

Lounge By smokeysmokerton Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm by kansaslaura

smokeysmokerton Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 8

I just replaced my fridge and when I started to clean up my old one, I noticed these little orange spots on the side that will not come off. I have scrubbed and scrubbed, and while I can tell that some of it is starting to lift, it's doing so veeerrryyy sloooowwwwllyy icon_cry.gif I'm out of magic erasers, and the all purpose stuff I have isn't working. Anyone have any "home remedies" for this? Thanks

7 replies
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 8

10 to 1 those are itty-bitty "age spots" a.k.a rust spots from where the enamel paint is failing.

No fix other than sand them out to bare metal, prime and repaint. (now if only that would work all those age spots I'm getting! icon_rolleyes.gif )

KHalstead Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 8

I would try some cleaner with bleach.........I love that stuff! lol

Luvmyboys0609 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 8

Not a home remedy but CLR (I get it at walmart) works wonderful!! It stands for calcium, lime, rust. If you spray som on there an let it sit i would think it would wipe off.

Loucinda Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 8

The stuff called Purple Power in the car dept. at walmart works well on those too. My DD used to own a cleaning company, and that is what she swore by for hard to get off grease in kitchens.

A paste of baking soda and water works good too....slightly abrasive.

smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks guys. I ended up just scrubbing the crap out of it with some all purpose cleaner and a scrub sponge, but it took forever! My poor finger tips are raw and peeling icon_cry.gif It wasn't rust, though. I see the same ones sometimes on the splash guard behind the stove, but I guess they aren't so hard to clean because I do it so often. The ones on the fridge were down beside the cabinet so I couldn't see them and who knows how long they'd been there.

I'm gonna have to try that CLR. I hear great things about it but I never remember to put it on my list.

anxietyattack Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 8

I've also used Greased Lightning before and it works! Also, you can try baking soda. It worked for me icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 8

I have used ...VERY CAREFULLY...a razor blade. I bought a small razor knife in the paint department and use it for all sorts of things, from getting stubborn burnt on messes from my glass stove top to icky stuff from the bottom of pots. Slow and gentle is the rule though!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%