Fresh Flowers On Fondant Cake

Decorating By zuckerbaecker Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm by zuckerbaecker

zuckerbaecker Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 6

hi everyone...

i want to make a 3 tear fondant cake. can i use fresh flowers on the top or do i have to make sure it's not toughing the fondant? has anyone done one before?

thanks a bunches
emmi

5 replies
catlharper Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

Yup, you need to make sure that they are not touching. the easiest way to do this is with straws inserted into the top of the cake and then place the flowers into the straws. Now if a petal or two barely touches the top you'll be ok but make sure not to sink the real flower into the cake. HTH. Cat

zuckerbaecker Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 6

hmm ok... great idea for a few flowers, but how do i do this?
LL

catlharper Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6

Imbed wax paper on the top of each tier and then stick the flowers into a covered styrofoam dummy. So you will end up with 5 actual tiers...3 cake, two spacers..the spacers hold the flowers. On top you can put another spacer with the flowers placed inside of it. You can actually frost over the wax paper (if you sprinkle the frosted cake under the wax paper circle with powdered sugar it will help it when you need to remove the wax paper for cutting...the buttercream won't stick as much. So bottom tier, flower tier, middle tier, flower tier, top tier, flower topper. It will be SO impressive when you finish! Can't wait to see the pics!
Cat

brincess_b Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 6

Many people leave fresh flowers up to the florist. If u decide to do it, for a customer, remember to charge for all the extra time/ work.

First off, you need to know what is poisonus. I wouldn't let that anywhere near a cake. Some plants/ flowers are edible which makes life easier!

Also, get organic, pesticide free flowers - pesticides are not good for people!

For that many flowers I'd use baking paper to line the tops and sides of the cakes. but because of the risks many people don't use fresh flowers, u could look at using sugar flowers.
xx

zuckerbaecker Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the help!!!!

i'm doing the cake for a friend, so no charge icon_wink.gif

sugar flowers would be great, but they cost a bunch in germany if you buy them already made. and making them on your own is probably gonna take a year icon_lol.gif ... so'm going for fresh flowers, which looks better anyway. of course non-toxic...(but hopefully it's to die for anyway icon_lol.gif) ... i'll post pix as soon as i get the masterpiece done icon_smile.gif

thanks
Emmi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%