Do I Stack Cakes After Final Buttercream?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 11

Hey all, I'm just wondering when stacking cakes do you stack them and then put on the final layer of buttercream, or do you do the buttercream first and set the cake on top?

10 replies
Echooo3 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 11

I looked at your pictures and it looks like you have done a stacked cake before. Anywho, buttercream first, then stack.

KathysCC Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 11

I completely ice the cakes and then stack them. It would be too hard to ice after stacking.

Spectra Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 11

Echoooo the only two stacked cakes I've done were covered in fondant, I've never done straight up butter-cream before.

Thanks for the replies! icon_smile.gif

jessiq Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 11

I usually only use bc. I have tried to stack cakes 2 times. One was okay but I have no idea why. The other time was a complete disaster! The top cake dug into the bottom cakes icing. I scraped the whole cake and didn't try again. I need to do one this weekend and would love some hints!

I read somewhere to put them in the fridge first. Anyone tried this?

Echooo3 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 11

I highly recommend the SPS system for stacking. It's pretty much fool proof.

Spectra Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 11

I just did one yesterday, and I did put them in the fridge first so the icing was nice and hard, then I stacked them. Though I think my dowels were too high and the cake board was sticking up a bit above the buttercream cake, but I guess I'll be doing it again this up coming weekend, so try try again. icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 11

What's the SPS method?

lisamenz Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 11

I guess I am the odd one out on this one. I always compelety do the bottom tier. Then as I go up with the stack cakes, I crumb coat, then stack it and then finish each tier, like this as I go up. That way I don't have to worry about missing up my iced tiers when I set it up on the next cake tier. This is what works for me and I have done this way for years. My cakes come out flawless and look like fondant when finished. Hope this helps. I use to do it the other way years ago, but this works better for me. Happy Cake Decorating icon_wink.gif

Echooo3 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 11
Spectra Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks so much Echooo! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%