Same Pan, Same Batter -- What Happened???!!!!!!

Baking By JGMB Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 4

I'm baking enough sheetcakes to feed 300 after church tomorrow. Yesterday, I successfully baked and frosted one. This morning, I used the same pan, the exact same recipe and amount of batter, and it's in there dripping ALL over the oven. icon_cry.gif The whole kitchen is filled with smoke -- thank heaven, it's a good day to have the windows open.

I just have 2 questions:

How could this happen today when it didn't yesterday and I did everything exactly the same?

Will this cake be ruined and have a smoky taste?

3 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 4

It may be ruined. You'll have to wait and see.

Something is different. Is it from scratch? is is possible to have measured a leavening ingredient twice or just too much?

I consider myself a good baker. Once I measured salt instead of sugar in oat meal cookies. Enough said.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 4

did you happen to use a new package of baking soda or powder? A new pack will be fresh and sometime cause that to happen.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies. Well, one of the questions is answered -- it doesn't taste smoky! icon_razz.gif The little scrap I tried is actually yummy, which makes me think that I didn't add baking powder twice. Also, it was a new can of baking powder, but I had opened it and used it last night, too.

So, who knows? I'm just so happy that I don't have to pitch this one and bake again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%