Can I Freeze Cupcakes?

Baking By nelikate Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 10:14am by nelikate

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:03am
post #1 of 5

Hi all

I am making 80 cupcakes and a 3D soccer ball (Wilton sports ball pan) for a birthday party in early July.

Because of time restraints I was wondering if anyone has frozen cupcakes before and if they advise it. Also any tips for freezing cupcakes would be appreciated.

I have frozen my cakes before and prefer to do this as they come out better, moister, when I do this but I'm not sure about cupcakes.

thanks in advance
Nel

4 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:38am
post #2 of 5

I have frozen cupcakes before, but the problem I have is the cupcake papers tend to get wet. If you are concerned with presentation, you might want to take that in to consideration. You might be able to cover them with the decorative cupcake wrappers. I'm with you on the moistness. I like them better after they have been frozen. Hope this helps!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:38am
post #3 of 5

Yes I have frozen mine for a month ahead of time. Just put them in a zip lock freezer bag and get as much air out as you can and pop them in the freezer. I used to do plastic overkill by wrapping them in plastic wrap and then placing them in a freezer bag, but I eventually ran out of plastic wrap so I just put some in the bag directly. They were perfectly fine and not freezer burnt.

When you thaw them, make sure you thaw them IN the plastic bag. You want the condensation that forms to form on the bag, not on the cupcakes. I actually prefer cupcakes after they've been frozen. They are really moist and tasty. I only make them like once a year, but I do a mass quantity, so it's really helpful if I freeze them ahead of time.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 5

I freeze cupcakes all the time. I use foil lasagna pans I get at the Dollar Tree (2 pans for $1). Each one holds a dozen cupcakes.

I put ccs in the pan and place a piece of plastic wrap right on top and down around them. Then I put a piece of foil on top of the pan and seal it around the pan's crimped edges. I write on the top what is in the pan and the date.

You can stack them 4 or 5 high because there is space between the top of the ccs and the top of the pan. The foil keeps them from smashing down on to the next one.

To defrost, do as AnnieCahill says and leave them in the covered pans, on the counter for a few hours.

HTH

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:14am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to do a test batch this week.

Nel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%