Baking In Heat & Humidity.

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 4:27am by noahsmummy

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #1 of 10

does anyone have any tips and tricks they use when baking in heat and humidity? we are fast approaching that dreaded season here in aust. and im already scared after what happened with my "attempts" last year.. see topsy turvey disaster and my sons first birthday cake in pics... lol

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 10

It's really hot and humid here as well. I don't use perishable fillings so that I never have to refrigerate my cakes. Since I don't refrigerate them I never have issues with the humidity. If a cake is kept and left at room temp. humidity doesn't affect it. This works for me anyway.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:36am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

It's really hot and humid here as well. I don't use perishable fillings so that I never have to refrigerate my cakes. Since I don't refrigerate them I never have issues with the humidity. If a cake is kept and left at room temp. humidity doesn't affect it. This works for me anyway.

we must be on the same page icon_smile.gif . I use crusting buttercream and fondant only in summer. i dont need the headache of perishable fillings. it was 93 today according to my thermometer. icon_cry.gif I miss winter.

noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #4 of 10

so fondant does hold up? because here, even a crusting buttercream can melt on a hot day.. last summer in december we averaged about 37-40 degrees C here. nothing worked. happens to be when my sons bday is to... lcuky me.. and i dont have air con.. even luckier me.. lol. do you think ganache would hold up better than b/c under fondant? sorry, i just dont want a repeat of last year, and plus im planning another attempt at topsy turvey for my boys bday. yes im crazy.

tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 10

I am going to send you my recipe for crusting buttercream. (although there is no butter in it) It has held up in 98 degree weather with 97% humidty. Yah. hot, humid, and rainy. And nothing on that cake melted..slid or moved.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:56am
post #6 of 10

I'm an aussie too, and I know what you mean. I have had best results using an american buttercream recipe (no butter in it) or ganache and then fondant. The cakes are generally ok if you leave them at room temp with just a fly cover over them, when I put cupcakes in a sealed container and left them overnight the humidity made the fondant/gumpaste mixture melt.

I don't have aircon either (& I live in QLD)

I can remember one night last summer having to fill the sink with ice cubes and water to cool my hands down enough to work the fondant. lol, gotta love an aussie summer.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:22am
post #7 of 10

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it will hold up to your heat and humidity I guarantee it. I know that it will hold in 100 degree weather with 98% humidity. I've never tried Sugarshack's buttercream recipe but I'm sure it would hold up as well.

tesso Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:32am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it will hold up to your heat and humidity I guarantee it. I know that it will hold in 100 degree weather with 98% humidity. I've never tried Sugarshack's buttercream recipe but I'm sure it would hold up as well.

the only problem with that is.. it is too hard to get dream whip in Australia. and according to one of the ladies, it is $11 dollars and envelope !!! I know because i told her that was ourtrageous and I would ship her some..then found out that not only was it expensive to send, but it is an import ban (it is listed under dairy) unless you are a store and all that customs crap. I havent seen sugarshacks recipe.. off to go check it out.. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:50am
post #9 of 10

Good grief. I'd be making sugarshack's recipe if I lived there. icon_lol.gif

noahsmummy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 10

lol yes dreamwhip is quite hard to come buy, as are alot of other commonly used ingredients, i make my own corn syrup so i can make mff. but thats is very worthwhile... because that fondant is just beautiful stuff. =)

thanks again guys. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%