Help! I Am Mortified!

Decorating By princsleah Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm by costumeczar

princsleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princsleah Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 26

Okay so here is what happened. I baked a WASC for the first time last night. I wrapped my layers while they were still slightly warm (to keep moisture in,) Today I came home and tried to torte a 3" (into 2 layers). Well one layer crack even before I put it on the cake. I had filled the cake with lemon (not a lot not even 1/4" thick!) and it slid and collapsed on me! This is the 3rd torte I have tried and all of them have been diasters! I never had these problems when I just used a straight cake mix (DH) and didn't torte them. I will be up all night rebaking this cake. Any ideas what I did wrong so I don't repeat it? I am starting to get discouraged here. icon_cry.gif

25 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 26

How did you support the cake when moving the layers?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #3 of 26

I think if you wrapped them warm and then didn't refrigerate or freeze, that the layers would be so moist and soft they would easily break. I usually wrap mine but then freeze (then thaw later) or fridge, they are easier to work with while cool and firm.

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 26

I absolutely agree with Kitagrl. I always refrigerate or freeze, ESPECIALLY moist cake recipes. I take them out of the fridge 15-20 mins before torting.

princsleah Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #5 of 26

It was only an 8" so I just used my hand to transfer it. Thanks for the suggestion on freezing the cakes. I normally do freeze my cakes but the last time I did it sweat so bad that it would crust over. It makes perfect sense to freeze or chill them. I will try that next time. Thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 26

I don't ice my cakes while frozen...just chilled. I usually don't need the icing to crust to smooth it but if I do (like one with many colors on it that need to be crusted and smoothed) I just let it sit out for maybe an hour after icing...and by that time it will crust.

Good luck!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 26

I use WASC all the time and usually just let it sit out to cool to room temp, often overnight. I don't cover it or wrap it other than laying a clean towel over it. The next day I level and torte then either move on to icing or freeze with wax paper between the layers. I've rarely had one crack and that is usually because I didn't handle it well. Nowadays I use a Superpeel (Google it if you like, they're for pizza) to move large layers and reposition them on the cake. I never have dry cake doing it this way either.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:30am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think if you wrapped them warm and then didn't refrigerate or freeze, that the layers would be so moist and soft they would easily break. I usually wrap mine but then freeze (then thaw later) or fridge, they are easier to work with while cool and firm.

Totally agree. Guess I missed the fact that the op didn't freeze her cake, only wrapped. icon_redface.gif

princsleah Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 26

OKay maybe I am not susposed to make this cake. So I rebaked the cakes last night. Used my trusty DH cake mix that i have used for years. Never any problems. Cooled the cakes, wrapped them and put them in the refrigerator over night. Got up at 4 this morning and crumb coated my cold cakes. Filled the layers with Lemon Sunkist filling. Finished icing cake, decorated it and it started sliding. At first I thought it was my imagination but not sure enough it was sliding. So I take the top layer off and the lemon filling has almost liquidified and the buttercream crumb coat is cold. Did the cold buttercream cause the lemon filling to liquidify and slide? Or was my cake not even and that is why it slid? It looked even when I trimmed the layers/ This is the first time I have ever used lemon filling straight. I usually make a mousse with pastry pride. Please let me know what I am doing wrong, I have been doing cakes for years and the last 2 I have done have been diasters! What;s the deal?

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 26

how's the humidity in your baking area? I know this is a simple question, but are you damming your tortes? I was having sliding issues and I realized my stiff buttercream wasn't all that stiff. I've also started to do the dam, fill and then walk away for 30min or so. I come back and crumb coat.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 26

It sounds like you might have a problem with your filling. Do you use a buttercream dam before filling?

As to the cracking cake. I use a wax paper covered rectangular cake board to slip between the layers I have torted and move them around. I never use my hand, even on a small WASC cake because it is so soft that is will crack.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 26

I was going to say the same thing o you think it might be your filling? Do you always use that filling as well ?

princsleah Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 26

This is the first time I have ever used this brand of filling or a clear lemon filling and I have a feel maybe the last! icon_eek.gif Usually I fortify my filling by making them mousse, but this customer was adament she wanted clear lemon filling! AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH! I did dam up the sides. But once the cake started to slide it bulged out the dam from the sides. So I have removed all the icing and am trying again. I just put the crumb coat on and am going to let it set a little while to see if it starts to bulge or slide before decorating it again! I will let you all know how it turns out....thanks so much for all your good suggestions. I know this weekend will pass and this is definetly one for the books! icon_redface.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 26

why don't you use a center dowel in the layer just to hold it from moving. we do this a lot if we are filling the cake wih a lemon,or fruit/thickened filling...I fear moving layers, so this helps....use a lot of straws for this...even non stacked cakes with this pudding type filling.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 26

Without a doubt if you're using a straight-up lemon filling, you need a good STIFF dam!!!! Never leave home without it! icon_wink.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 26

If you have not put a dowel in the center I would suggest doing so. I did a torted 8" 4-layer cake with a 'clear' lemon filling like yours once and it too started to slide a bit but I stuck a dowel in it (or two...can't remember) and no problem. I also refrigerate my cakes until time to deliver. The buttercream sets up and helps hold things together. I always frost a cold cake as well. Works for me! icon_smile.gif

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #17 of 26

What about a white chocolate ganache instead of buttercream as the cover? I find that it stabilizes the cake.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #18 of 26

Recently, my local grocery store had DH cake mixes, 10 for $10.00.
I stocked up on them.
For the first time in 20 years, I had cakes crack, I had cakes so crumbly I had to stop torting them. I had several sheet cakes that I could not cut into layers, but just iced in a single layer.

I am wondering if DH changed the formula of their cake mix.
My next trip to the store I purchase Pilsbury and didn't have any problems.

FYI : I freeze my layers always. I find they are easier to handle. I cut them while they are still partially frozen.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #19 of 26

I too would dam up the edges with buttercream.
Another option would be to cut back on the amount of lemon filling you are using.
You only need a thin layer of the tart lemon pie filling.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #20 of 26

At the bakery I work, we never make 3 layers of a gooey filling. The center filling is filled with buttercream for stability. Before noticing this, I too at home had sliding cakes too. Once I put a buttercream center .....no more sliding.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #21 of 26

[quote="tokazodo"]Recently, my local grocery store had DH cake mixes, 10 for $10.00.
I stocked up on them.
For the first time in 20 years, I had cakes crack, I had cakes so crumbly I had to stop torting them. I had several sheet cakes that I could not cut into layers, but just iced in a single layer.

I am wondering if DH changed the formula of their cake mix.
My next trip to the store I purchase Pilsbury and didn't have any problems.

I don't think it's the Duncan Hines. It's the only cake mix that I use (yields more batter). I have never had one to crack..ever.. I use kakeladi's WASC recipe which has no oil in it. Maybe why I've never had a problem.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #22 of 26

a few years ago after discovering CC and hearing the wows of DH mixes i decided to try them. i had been using Pillsbury prior to this and have since went back to Pills brand. i like DH or BC for some flavors such as the butter cake mix.. but - i have always had best results with pillsbury and continue to work with it, not saying i dont get problems from time to time of course heh

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #23 of 26

I always use DH and I have never had a problem. I also ALWAYS use a stiff butter cream dam between my layers and as was previously said I would never leave home without it. I always torte and have used all kinds of fillings and have never (thank the Lord) had any layers slip or move. I use bubble tea straws for support between tiers and a lot of my cakes travel at least two hours to get to their destination and never move.

I also use WASC and DH with pudding and sour cream and always freeze my cakes. I had one cake that I had problems when I torted it and that was a lemon one that was indeed very moist and I did not freeze this one as I was in a hurry. This was also before I had my Agaby and it was not torted evenly. When moving it back onto the cake it cracked in three places. Fortunately this was a cake that was supposed to be a surprise so my friend never got her cake - no harm done as no one knew about it.

I still think the stiff BC dam will solve a lot of the OP's problems.

jackieindiana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieindiana Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:46am
post #24 of 26

try using was paper to line your pans this helps hold the cake together and tuns out great also when you fill the cake dont ice the center of the cake just damn the cake i find this helps and i always put a few toothpicks in to help hold in place and dont use a filling that has to be ref. they seen to hold up better

princsleah Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #25 of 26

That is an interesting comment about DH tokazodo. I certainly hope they have not changed their formula as I think DH has the best cake mix out there. It is always very moist and flavorful. Well about the finished cake, after I put the crumb coating on the second cake I put it in the refrigerator to chill. When I applied the last coat of icing it was great and holding up well. I had dammed up the sides and had only a very thin layer of lemon flling. However, as soon as the cake got to room temp again it slide and by the time I delivered it it was bulging and weeping lemon out the side. The woman was very kind and understanding and fortunately it was just a cake for her family and not a wedding cake. However, I am refunding all of her money ($30) as I was not happy at all with the results and in my opinion she didn't get what she paid for. Fortunately, she has seen other cakes I have done and she knows that this was not my typical work. But I was very disappointed. I don't think I will use clear lemon filling again, only lemon mousse. It isn't worth the stress to me. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Stinkin'....I HATE to lose. icon_mad.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #26 of 26

These sleeved fillings have the texture of melty vaseline, they're going to make the layers slither all over the place. If you use a homemade lemon curd or fruit preserves you'll be able to put a thin layer on and still get a better flavor, and the cake won't do the slide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%