Need Some Advice. How Soon Do I Set Up Wedding Table?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 1:26am by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 6

I need some input here and since there are so many talented/experienced bakers here I know you can help icon_lol.gif

I have the 5 tier cake filled and frosted. It is chilling in the fridge now. It is a white cake with Sugarshack buttercream. For the filling I just added white chocolate ganache to the buttercream...not too much ...just enough to change texture and flavor.

My question is what time should I set up the table? The reception is outside and it's going to be low 90's here. There is a big tent but it will still be plenty hot.
The wedding begins at 5pm and should last about 45 minutes or so.

How far in advance do I go set the cake up in the tent? I don't want it to melt or weep.
Advice please?

5 replies
catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 6

I set up as much of the cake table as I can before the wedding begins so all I have to do is set the cake onto it. If you can, wait till the wedding begins and then sneak over to the reception space to set up the cake. IF the wedding is IN the reception space then you can always go about 30 mins before and set up the cake. This is because people will already be in your area 15 mins before the ceremony...shoot sometimes people are in there 30 mins ahead too but in this case with the heat there's just not much you can do about that. This is why I only do fondant covered cakes in the summer...especially for outdoor events. HTH Cat

crazyladybaker Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the input icon_biggrin.gif I had planned on doing it all in fondant but after meeting with the bride she didn't really care one way or the other about fondant or buttercream. I was hesitant on doing my first wedding, serving such a big crowd and I have only done smaller fondant covered cakes and the thought of covering that whole thing in fondant was going to give me a nervous breakdown icon_lol.gif

I wish I had a freezer big enough to hold it all. I would freeze it all tonight...but then again, I don't know if you can do that after it's all filled and frosted?

Hopefully I will get some sleep and not stress over all this.

Have a great weekend.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 6

If you freeze it and set it out in 90 degree heat it will sweat like crazy.

Good luck.

crazyladybaker Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccosMom

If you freeze it and set it out in 90 degree heat it will sweat like crazy.

Good luck.

Glad you shared that because I was wondering about it. I am going to pray for a cold front to come in over night.. icon_surprised.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 6

It's over and done. It was HORRIBLY hot but I am so thankful it is over!
The cake was a big hit even though it was tilting by the time the bride got there.
Not sure why it was tilting. I used SPS but it was my first time so maybe I messed something up. I used a level and everything but something was "off" somewhere.

All in in all it went well and people raved about the cake. What a way to break into the wedding cake business.
There were knats all over the place and they kept flying up my nose while I was cutting. Not a pretty sight...lol

I got some pics but have no clue if they are any good or not. Hopefully the photographer has some nice ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%