My Frosting!

Baking By tabijae Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm by tabijae

tabijae Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 11

There's something wrong with my buttercream frosting and I have to have my cake done by morning! It tastes like shortening! I always use this recipe and have never had a problem before. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me? How can I tell if my shortening has gone bad?

10 replies
caramelchef Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 11

well if it has gone bad from my experience it has a funny smell and the color is usually off almost like a pale yellow.
Does your recipe contain butter or margarine? why not try an extract to help cut the taste.

tabijae Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 11

after examining this and really thinking it through, it's definitely not the shortening. The only thing I can figure is the butter or the sugar. The sugar does not taste bad, but it doesn't have a smell at all, whereas a bag I borrowed from the neighbor smells rich and yummy. The problem with the butter is that I can't even taste it. Buttercream should have a buttery taste, right? There is nothing. It's an initially sweet taste, and then nothing. Like a weird nothing.

tabijae Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 11

I have also tried adding extracts and it hasn't made a bit of difference.

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #5 of 11

Do add some extracts....any combination of flavors. Do you have butter flavored? Vanilla? Almond? Mix 1 teaspoon van, 1/2 teasdpoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon almond. That usually is very well received. Also, if you haven't already, add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well on low speed.

PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 11

I've heard of people getting a bad batch of powdered sugar, like there's too much corn starch in it. Can you taste your powdered sugar and make sure it tastes normal? Is it your usual brand?

Joshua_Alan Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #7 of 11

Are you sure you made the buttercream correct? I had a cake this week that I was frustrated on because my bc wasn't crusting and I was SURE I did everything right, but I had made the frosting so many times I was working off of memory. SO.....I pulled up the recipe and realize I had put in 2/3 a cup of water when it called for 1/3. Long story short, I scrapped the bc and started over and it crusted right up!

tabijae Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 11

After my husband got off work late last night, I had him taste it. He thinks I'm insane. Could my taste buds be messed up? I have no idea.

brincess_b Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 11

If ur coming down with something then that can affect ur taste buds.

katnmouse Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 11

Allergies are running high all around. If you are suffering from them at all, know that any nasal congestion will dull your taste buds - often significantly.

tabijae Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 11

Yeah, I bet you're right. At least the cake turned out. That's all that matters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%