Wedding Cake Help Asap!! I Have 1 Week!!

Decorating By the1mom Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 5:32am by tonedna

the1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the1mom Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake I am making for a friend for the 26th. This is the first wedding cake I have made but I have made quite a few other cakes so this should be easy right??!! The problem I am having is that they would like a pudding type filling?? I guess like you would get at a local grocery store type cake. Anyone have any recipe suggestions?? I also am doing gumpaste roses so helpful tips would be really appreciated!! thanks so much!!!

11 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 12

Well, if you haven't started get going on those roses. They take a while to make, or if you don't want the stress of making them order them, but that would have to be done right away, there is no telling if they would get to you in time for the wedding, without using an express shipping.

As far as the filling, if you have a cake store nearby then by the bavarian cream filling in a sleeve, its easy to work with and fairly shelf stable. If you don't have that option, i like the cooked jello brand vanilla pudding, it tastes much better then the instant. Or you could just make a basic pastry cream, but that does have eggs in it so you need to make sure to cook your eggs to the proper temp.

And please don't forget to keep this cake properly refrigerated, as these are perishable fillings. Pudding fillings shouldn't be at room temp for more then 4 hours.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1mom

I have a wedding cake I am making for a friend for the 26th. This is the first wedding cake I have made but I have made quite a few other cakes so this should be easy right??!! The problem I am having is that they would like a pudding type filling?? I guess like you would get at a local grocery store type cake. Anyone have any recipe suggestions?? I also am doing gumpaste roses so helpful tips would be really appreciated!! thanks so much!!!

I agree that the pastry fillings in the sleeve are the way to go! The big cake supply store in Ft. Wayne has every kind imaginable! Here's their link: www.countrykitchensa

Have fun!

cakeheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeheart Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:04am
post #4 of 12

I agree with the previous posters for the filling. you could also try Jello vanilla instant pudding (large box) and one pint of heavy whipping cream and mix together untill it thickens (doesn't take long) I have used this many times and it taste great!
as for your roses you can make them fairly quickly without cutters by taking gumpaste and making pinky tip sized teardrop shapes for the middle and let set up (point up)on floral wire (just a couple hours)
then take marble sized balls (just roll them in your hand) and squish in between two piping bags with your thumb to make petals (squish them more towards the outiside to give it a nice petal look) I would say do about 6-8 petals per flower depending on the look and size you want then wrap one petal around the tear shape and repeat without overlapping directly in front of another petal.

hang upside down to dry or if you dont use wire place in drying cups (I just use a deviled egg plate lol)
hope that helped?

the1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the1mom Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:57am
post #5 of 12

what about pudding and cool whip?? would that be better for outside for 4 hours?? that is my concern for sure!! BTW I have decided to do flowers out of butter cream icing and they have turned out great so far....should I keep them in the fridge as well?? or once they have been in the fridge until hard they are ok to be out?? thanks for the help...its been helpful!!! hahaha

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 12

Cool whip fillings need to refrigerated and in the heat we've been having I don't think 4 hours outside is good. If you can find Rich's bettercream or Rich's frosting pride they're a non dairy whipped topping (liquid) and they can stayout for up to 5 days. Bc icing will soften and probably melt in the heat unless you use Indydebi's crisco bc or sugarshacks bc recipes. They both crusts and hold up extememly well in high heat and humidity. I'd still try to find a nice shady spot and not keep in direct sunlight if cake will be outside for hours.

IxtaMaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IxtaMaya Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 12

what is it with all these brides wanting to get married outside in 100 degree heat???

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 12

I know right. I live in NYC, I'm miserable just walking to the store across the street from my building.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxtaMaya

what is it with all these brides wanting to get married outside in 100 degree heat???

No kidding. I WILL NOT attend any event this time of year unless it's in an air conditioned building. icon_lol.gif I went to a birthday party a couple of weeks ago that was held outdoors and thought I was going to die. I spent most of the time that I was there in my car with the AC running. thumbs_up.gif

I certainly won't attend an outdoor wedding in 100 degree temperatures. That ain't happening. icon_wink.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

No kidding. I WILL NOT attend any event this time of year unless it's in an air conditioned building. icon_lol.gif I went to a birthday party a couple of weeks ago that was held outdoors and thought I was going to die. I spent most of the time that I was there in my car with the AC running. thumbs_up.gif

I certainly won't attend an outdoor wedding in 100 degree temperatures. That ain't happening. icon_wink.gif

too funny!!!
I went on vacation to the carribean and my brother insisted we go mountain climbing.... they did all the climbing while I stayed in the car with the AC blasting hehehe
I don't do well on heat... I'm like a dairy cake filling HAHAHAHAHA

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:19am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

too funny!!!
I went on vacation to the carribean and my brother insisted we go mountain climbing.... they did all the climbing while I stayed in the car with the AC blasting hehehe
I don't do well on heat... I'm like a dairy cake filling HAHAHAHAHA

ugh, me either. it's my English heritage I suspect, my skin turns pink so fast in the sun. The worst is going to an amusement park and having to walk around with the sun beating down, sweating... I don't do that anymore.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #12 of 12

This is a very basic gumpaste tutorial
http://designmeacake.com/tuts4.html

Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%