Luster Spray?

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm by Kitagrl

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes and Christopher Garren's staff was spraying a luster on the cake. It wasn't an airbrush, like a spray bottle almost. Does anyone know what may be the trick here? Is it really a spray bottle with luster and alocohol? Or is it something more complex?

5 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 6

They do sell aerosol cans of luster. I've tried it it but didn't care for it. It's expensive and difficult to get an even coat on a large surface. I suppose with practice it may work well. But I didn't have the time or $$ to burn.

Or are you talking like Windex spritzer type spray? You could probably make your own with luster and vodka. Though I think the regular windex type bottles might give an uneven, spattery effect. Anything with a finer mist might clog. Worth testing though.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

it was a small hairspray type of bottle that was clear on the bottom. it was hard to tell if it was aerosol or pump. my grandma told me once that you can buy air cans for airbrushing. I wonder if it was something like that.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

I have a can of pearl spray but I don't like it, I feel it sprays much too heavily.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I have a can of pearl spray but I don't like it, I feel it sprays much too heavily.

Exactly, kitagirl! I was looking for a uniform but gentle luster. This was more like a solid coat of silvery pearl.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 6

I really like the ready-made airbrush pearl, for use in an airbrush. Doesn't clog the nozzle like mixing luster dust can, and its a nice light coverage so you can choose how heavy you go on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%