Looking For The Forum About Outlining In Black On Cookies...

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm by GeminiRJ

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 21

Hey all! I'm looking for a forum a saw a while back about how outlining in black can make your cookie look better. I remember there was a gumball cookie shown and I think I clown cookie. Does anyone know where I can find it. I've searched the cookie forum for a while and can't find it. Thanks!

20 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 21

Oh, that is Susan (GeminiRJ). It was a great posting. I don't have the link, but you might search her name.

TracyLH Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 21

party.gifparty.gifparty.gif I found it! I just can't walk away when there is a cookier in need. icon_smile.gif Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=634381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #4 of 21

And talking about black.. anyone tried the "duff goldman" black gel colour? (or any of his colours?)

I did yesterday.. black beside white! (glace) .. I applied the black 12h after the white (was not completly set because it was a huge cookie).. and 36h later.. everything is dry.. and NO bleeding!!

TracyLH Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #5 of 21

Thanks, Verano! That is great to know! I am moving to an area that will be lacking in Americolor so I will need to order. Now I know I can run to Michael's if I need black a.s.a.p. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 21

Wow, Tracy, you're good! I'm a lost cause when it comes to doing anything above rudimentary on the computer!

I hope your move goes smoothly. You'll be a great addition to your new neighborhood!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 21

I didn't know Duff sold his own gel colors.

verono Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I didn't know Duff sold his own gel colors.

I also saw fondant bucket!

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/michaels-launches-the-duff-goldman-collection-tm-151621.php

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 21

The Duff stuff at Michaels is VERY new. The asiles were just transitioned to have it back at the very end of May. I have not tired his colors, but I did not have any problems with bleeding when I did glaze cookies for my nieces dance bags. I did black on yellow and NO problems at all. I used the Americolor black. But I have used wilton black in buttercream for BCT's and had been told people had problems with it bleeding, but I have had none.

The duff colors look awesome though, I want to try his neon color set. The duff stuff is pretty pricey though, just as an FYI that you don't go into sticker shock so take your coupons.

verono Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset74

The Duff stuff at Michaels is VERY new. The asiles were just transitioned to have it back at the very end of May. I have not tired his colors, but I did not have any problems with bleeding when I did glaze cookies for my nieces dance bags. I did black on yellow and NO problems at all. I used the Americolor black. But I have used wilton black in buttercream for BCT's and had been told people had problems with it bleeding, but I have had none.

The duff colors look awesome though, I want to try his neon color set. The duff stuff is pretty pricey though, just as an FYI that you don't go into sticker shock so take your coupons.

Pricey?
I've got the big gel colour for 4 dollars and something (don't remember exactly).. Not that bad icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 21

Sounds great; i'll have to check it out at Michaels. Thanks

SweetChristie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChristie Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 21

I was reading through this forum and trying to find the answer to a question I have. Hopefully someone can help me. I make sugar cookies and decorate with royal icing. Every time I put black royal icing on my cookies it bleeds into the other colors. I've even tried letting the base color dry first and then applying the black afterwards. It looks perfect at first but, by the next morning the black has ruined my cookies. Can someone please help me? icon_cry.gif Thanks!

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChristie

I was reading through this forum and trying to find the answer to a question I have. Hopefully someone can help me. I make sugar cookies and decorate with royal icing. Every time I put black royal icing on my cookies it bleeds into the other colors. I've even tried letting the base color dry first and then applying the black afterwards. It looks perfect at first but, by the next morning the black has ruined my cookies. Can someone please help me? icon_cry.gif Thanks!

Two things to try: 1. Be sure to add some brite white food color to your icing (I prefer Americolor brand. I use about 5-6 drops for every cup of powdered sugar I mix up). 2. If possible, do the black first. For some reason, a wet icing will leach into the dry icing more than the other way around. Since black is the darkest, the adjoining color won't be noticed bleeding into it. Hopefullly.

SweetChristie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChristie Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #14 of 21

Thank you so much for your response! So I should add the brite white to "all" my royal icing, even the icing I will be adding color to?
Also, I had heard of doing the black first if possible. But, most of the time the black is needed for piping font or making a face on top of my base coat icing. Thanks again. Christie icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChristie

Thank you so much for your response! So I should add the brite white to "all" my royal icing, even the icing I will be adding color to?
Also, I had heard of doing the black first if possible. But, most of the time the black is needed for piping font or making a face on top of my base coat icing. Thanks again. Christie icon_biggrin.gif

The brite white just seems to help the color "bond" better. I always add it before dividing and coloring my icing.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 21

I've never had a problem with black bleeding. I wonder if it's because I usually start my black icing by adding a dark cocoa powder and then need far less colour gel. I have only used Wilton brand do to the availability in my cmmunity. Just a suggestion, it could just be that I'm lucky and my next black batch will bleed all over!!!

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #17 of 21

The Duff gel colors are AMAZING!! They are about $8 for a set of four, but I always use a coupon to get it half off. I have the primary colors set and the neon colors. I have only used the neon colors and they are so great....so bright and vivid. And it's a little squeeze bottle, which is great because I hate that Wilton comes in a jar! The whole toothpick thing irritates me!! Since I have read that the Duff fondant is actually made by Fondariffic, I am wondering if his colors are actually Americolor?

krazykreiner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykreiner Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 21

We just made a cake with the duff fondunt and frosting!!! I use to hate fondunt but his buttercream taste just like buttercream frosting. We will be using black fondunt this weekend on my daughters cake, I will let you know how it tastes.

But a question for cookie makers. we are trying to get a frosting to pipe our cookies with. I just bought the Wilton's piping gel. does that harden to be able to put the cookies into baggies?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #19 of 21

Has anyone noticed the black outline bleeding?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 21

Great topic, thank you!

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Has anyone noticed the black outline bleeding?

I've never had a problem with the black outline bleeding. It probably helps that I do the decorating the first day, and the outlining the second. Mostly, the outline is so fine, there just isn't much there to bleed. It also helps to not tint your icing really black. I tint mine closer to dark gray, but it looks much darker once it's on the cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%