Question Re: Foil For Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By luddroth Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm by BlakesCakes

luddroth Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

I reached the end of a big roll of my favorite foil for covering boards and started looking on-line for a new roll only to discover I don't know what I'm doing (shock!). The old roll was silver on one side, forest green on the other, embossed on both, grease proof, heavy, not easily torn. I bought it at a cake supply store in Manhattan. From an on-line source, I ordered a roll of silver foil labelled FDA approved. I received it and it's useless. It's like really thin, weak, easily wrinkled aluminum foil.

With further research I see poly-lined embossed foil, confectioners foil, florists' foil, and a very limited selection of Wilton FDA food-safe foil or paper -- usually just in white. So, I'm thinking that what I've been using is the poly-coated, which I now gather is not food safe. The cake is usually on a cardboard on top of the foil-covered board, so maybe this doesn't really matter much. But as usual, I thought I should ask the experts.

So, what's the story? Is the good-quality, grease-proof, strong and pretty poly-lined stuff toxic? Should I avoid it? What say you?

5 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 6

I don't like the Wilton stuff. But the embossed from Global Sugar Art works great.

CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

The cake is usually on a cardboard on top of the foil-covered board, so maybe this doesn't really matter much.

I say you're fine as long as you continue to use the cardboard under the cake as you normally do. If you have a border that touches the poly or florist foil, I wouldn't eat the border if it's had prolonged contact with the non-foodsafe product.

luddroth Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 6

Do you think the poly lined stuff is actually toxic?

luddroth Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

It's the nice, embossed stuff that I'm now understanding is not food-safe -- is that right?

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 6

"Most" of the embossed foils are NOT foodsafe--they're made to cover flower pots and they have lead in them (that can leach into greasy foods rather easily). There are some FDA approved foils--other than the Wilton ones, which we all know are foodsafe--but they're usually more pricey and can be hard to find.

That said, as long as you put the cake on it's own board and adhere that board to the foil, you're fine. If you're worried about the border touching the foil, either make the board that much larger and keep the border on that, or put down a piece of saran, wax, or parchment paper that will be big enough to allow for the border.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%