Topsy Turvy Cake Labor

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 3:59am by cherrycakes

Polkadot79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request for this wedding cake. This will be my first time attempting a topsy turvy cake and I'm not sure of the extra labor involved to achieve the look so I can give a price quote. How much more time should I allow? 12, 10, 8, & 6 Rounds I usually charge $2 a serving for buttercream, but this will be covered in fondant as well since hot humid South Georgia and outside wedding reception.

Also, will SPS work as support?

I'm a bit nervous...this cake intimidates me a bit, but I love a challenge. I wouldn't want to ruin someone's wedding day though. Do you all think by looking at my cakes that I'm experienced enough to even attempt?

Thanks!
LL

9 replies
misterc Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 10

I charge $4.25 per serving for topsy turvy designs. My standard price is $3.75 per serving, hope that helps a little, but the price really depends on your area. It is a great design- have fun with it.
And yes you can make this cake but you might want to do a scaled down version for a test run. Your work is lovely.

meharding Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 10

I am only a hobby baker but am planning on doing a two-tiered topsy turvy from my granddaughter's birthday in 3 weeks. I found a great tutorial on this website on how to make one of these cakes with the SPS system. Don't know how to do the link thing but maybe someone else will do it. If not just search on topsy turvy tutorial.
Sorry I can't help with pricing... Good luck to you! It looks like a beautiful cake and will be fun to do.

wjbowden3 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 10

pokadot79 , you have absolutly nothing tor worry about , My lord that cake looks Amazing, you can see myne arent that big yet lOL (mod edited for content.) Congradulations

Polkadot79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the replies and the comments on my cakes!

I went ahead and quoted the cake at $375. I live in a rural area and the competition is a local old school bakery. I know it's cheap to some, but I really want to start making more wedding cakes and don't want to "run" them all off before my name is really out there. icon_biggrin.gif

Bean123 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

I have a request for this wedding cake. This will be my first time attempting a topsy turvy cake and I'm not sure of the extra labor involved to achieve the look so I can give a price quote. How much more time should I allow? 12, 10, 8, & 6 Rounds I usually charge $2 a serving for buttercream, but this will be covered in fondant as well since hot humid South Georgia and outside wedding reception.

Also, will SPS work as support?

I'm a bit nervous...this cake intimidates me a bit, but I love a challenge. I wouldn't want to ruin someone's wedding day though. Do you all think by looking at my cakes that I'm experienced enough to even attempt?

Thanks!

hey, I am pretty new to cc and was wondering how I can look at your pictures?

cherrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 10

I just did my first topsy turvy last weekend and followed the tutorial that meharding mentioned. I would definitely suggest using ganache under the fondant. I used it for 2/3 tiers and the middle tier (iced in BC) almost did me in! The top and bottom tiers with ganache were solid as rocks. Good luck! The design looks like it would be really fun to make!

Bean123: just click on the photos link located in the reply box where it says "profile pm photos"

Bean123 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I just did my first topsy turvy last weekend and followed the tutorial that meharding mentioned. I would definitely suggest using ganache under the fondant. I used it for 2/3 tiers and the middle tier (iced in BC) almost did me in! The top and bottom tiers with ganache were solid as rocks. Good luck! The design looks like it would be really fun to make!

Bean123: just click on the photos link located in the reply box where it says "profile pm photos"

thanks!! that was easy thumbs_up.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I've been reading about using ganache quite a bit lately. Do you use dark or white chocolate?

cherrycakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #10 of 10

I use semi-sweet chocolate chips as it's the most economical for me and I get lots of compliments on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%