How Do I Make This Flower?

Decorating By jenniboo Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm by Win

jenniboo Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 7

I'm fairly new to sugar flowers and LOVE the look of these flowers from Maisie Fantasie's site. Any advice on how to make these? Should I use a certain cutter, should I use fondant/gumpaste? How long should I let it dry? Any and all advice would be much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure which cutter that is, but you could create the same effect using a generic 5-petal cutter. Then just thin and ruffle the edges.

nanawannabake Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #3 of 7

I need to make one like this and you can also use the easy rose cutter.

icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 7

hi, the other two posters are correct.

luvbuttercream Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #5 of 7

I agree on it being the easy rose cutter. And I would use either all gumpaste or use a combo of the two. I have used Wilton Fondant for a flower and it dried nicely in about 4 hours and it stayed ruffled nicely as well but I know not all fondant will do that. This is the flower.

jenniboo Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I can't wait to try it out.

Win Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 7

I would agree with the five-petal cutter theory. However, that would be labeled a "fantasy flower" in the sense that it does not duplicate any real floral botanically. The five-petal cutters are rounded, and it looks like these have been slightly pulled at the center to form a little more of a point to them. I use a combo of fondant and gumpaste mixed OR I add a good bit of shortening to my gumpaste to soften it up and make it quite pliable. I'd cut the form, lay it on my foam pad and, with a ball tool, slightly ruffle the outside edges of each petal. THEN, lift it and flip it over. Use the ball tool to slightly indent the center of each petal. This will give you the cupped look to the overall flower. Lay it in a bowl if you do not have a flower former and allow it to set some while you make the smaller inside flower. Allow the smaller flower to set up as well before you glue the two together and add the center.

Have fun creating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%