Transport Stacked Cake If Using Bubble Tea?

Decorating By rltmeng Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 12:31am by shari22

rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #1 of 18

Hi, I would like advice from anyone who uses bubble tea straws please. I read that if you use bubble tea straws for support that you should not travel with the cake stacked. Is this true? I have to travel 1 hour with a wedding cake and now am nervous about transporting it stacked if I use bubble tea straws. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

17 replies
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:59am
post #2 of 18

I have never heard that before. I use Bubble tea straws when I stack. I complete the cake at home and travel with it stacked. No problems....yet.....knock on wood.

The amazing Sharon Z. uses the Bubble Tea straw method as well. If I am not mistaken, she travels with them stacked as well.

HTH

Michael

artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 18

I find bubble tea straws to be sturdier and more reliable than dowels under any circumstance.

KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 18

Honestly, if your cake is 3 tiers and under you should be fine!

rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the responses. I am doing a 3 tier, and later this summer a 4 tier, is 4 tiers too many to travel stacked?

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 18

Just make sure those straws are cut evenly and put into the cake straight. I also always put a center dowel through the entire cake when traveling.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 18

I have traveled with a 4 tier cake. I just make sure it is chilled and that the center dowels (there are three center dowels in my 4 teir cake one through tiers 1 and 2, one between 1, 2, and 3 and one through the whole thing) are into the bottom cakeboard.

christeena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 18

I'm in the same boat! I am traveling for the first time with a 3 tier stacked cake supported by bubble tea straws in my new CakeSafe and I'm a nervous wreck about it!! I have never stacked and traveled, always finish on site but with a CakeSafe sitting on my table, I really need to suck it up and quit fretting!

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 18

That cake safe will work like a charm ( I LOVE mine!) with that, you don't have a worry in the world. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I find bubble tea straws to be sturdier and more reliable than dowels under any circumstance.

thumbs_up.gif Agree thumbs_up.gif I deliver stacked...... up to four tiers and I use straws icon_smile.gif

christeena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 18

Okay, I'm feeling a little less nervous now! Thanks!

rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks everyone, that does make me feel better to know it can be done. Pinkpiggie78, I am a little confused about where you place the dowel rods, you stack tiers 1 & 2 and place a dowel rod, add the 3rd tier, place another rod, and stack the 4th and add the final rod? Is that correct?

KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltmeng

Thanks for the responses. I am doing a 3 tier, and later this summer a 4 tier, is 4 tiers too many to travel stacked?

Not so much that it's TOO MUCH for the straws......just usually TOO MUCH for me to carry! lol I'd be a bit nervous though with anything over 3, not that it can't be done...but I wouldn't give a second thought to straws supporting a 3 tiered cake, 4 on the other hand would make me nervous,that's all!

iris219 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 18

where do you buy these bubble tea straws? Would like to order some.

karabeal Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #15 of 18

Iris219, I buy them at my local Asian food market. They are made as drinking straws for drinking "bubble tea." They have a larger diameter than regular drinking straws and are quite sturdy. Many cakers use them as support within tiers of a cake because they are cheap (I think I get 100 of them for $1.25), easy to cut (with regular scissors) and, as you can tell from the responses in this post, strong enough to support cake tiers.

Bakingangel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #16 of 18

Be sure to adhere a riser under your bottom board so you can easily get your fingers under to pick it up. I use some round wooden discs from Michaels and use Scotch double sided adhesive squares to attach them. Works great!

cookielicious Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #17 of 18

Great idea about the riser underneath!

shari22 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Be sure to adhere a riser under your bottom board so you can easily get your fingers under to pick it up. I use some round wooden discs from Michaels and use Scotch double sided adhesive squares to attach them. Works great!

Awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%