Houndstooth

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 11:59am by idocakes4fun

shanney54 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:42am
post #1 of 5

One of my friends is getting married at the end on next month. She sent me a message on fb about me making the groom's cake. This will be my first cake that someone has asked me to do, wedding or non-wedding, so I am very excited and nervous! They are thinking of have a red velvet cake with houndstooth on the top and a big Alabama "A" on top. I think the cake she's wanting is like this: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1456097

I am pretty confident that I can pull this off, except the houndstooth! I don't have an edible printer so I can't print one and I'm not sure who I could get to make one. I am pretty new to fondant and am not comfortable using an exacto knife to cut one out. Has anyone found a houndstooth cookie cutter? If I used a stencil wouldn't I smear the design when I put the "A" on top? This might be a silly but is there a houndstooth impression mat and roller? I would be willing to take the time to go back and paint the black on if i had a design to go by. Sorry for all the info, but I just want my cake to turn out as good as I can make it! TIA

4 replies
leepat Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:26am
post #2 of 5

I have looked and looked on the internet and have not been able to find what you are talking about. I finally gave up and bought edible image sheet for my cake. You can buy them from Lucks or Pfeil and Holing. Good luck.

pat

shanney54 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 5

The only grocery stores that are around here are Walmart, Target, Food World, Winn-Dixie, and in Birmingham there's Publix. There's a Costco and Sam's but I'm not a member to either one. Would any of them be able to do it? There was one time I asked someone at the bakery in Walmart about doing a cake w/ the houndstooth edible image and he tried to tell me that he couldn't do it because the pattern was copy righted by the University of Alabama. Yeah right! Where are you from in AL???

leepat Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #4 of 5

I am in Cullman. I didn't get mine at a grocery store I ordered it off the internet. Try Lucks website or Pfeil and Holing website. They have it there.

pat

idocakes4fun Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:59am
post #5 of 5

I Googled "houndstooth impression mat" and it pulls several sites. I am going to PM you with one of the links... that particular site has a white transfer sheet, which might be an easy way to achieve the look transferred onto black fondant. They also have stencil... as do many other sites. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%